Sign in to follow this  
b9085

1.8 or 2.0??

Hi all,

I have just sold my mk1 gti because I needed a more reliable car so that I can use on motorways. I think I have now decided the corrado is the car I want, I don't know anything about them at all so was after some advice.

I have about £2000 to spend, from what I have read so far I'm thinking a 1.8 16v or a 2.0 16v. From what I can tell the 1.8 is faster, I'm assuming this is because of the heaver block? Is this noticable, do they feel pretty much the same car?

At the moment I am leaning more towards the 2.0 because I want a newer car.

Any opinions appreciated, thanks.

Or you could get a g60 for that money...

Between the two though, I'd go for a 2.0l and chuck a 1.8 cam in it.

I did neither and bought a 1.8 :lol:

I'm thinking a g60 would be less reliable and would require more maintenance because of the charger?

agreed, for 2 grand you're in g60 territory. not so sure about maintenance, but if you're racking up the m-way miles it'd probably need it more often? sure someone will correct me!

i had a 1.8 and never found it to struggle on the motorway. so it wasn't the fastest thing there but it'd do a ton without straining. I presume being the smaller engine it would be a bit more economical too?

Personaly, I wouldn't recomend a valver, there's not much difference in running costs between them and G60's - and you can pick up G60's for sensible money nowadays. Just make sure the supercharger has been serviced recently or budget £400 on top of the purchase price for it to be done.

nothings certain on a car over 10 years old, buy the cleanest car you can for the money (IMO regardless of model) , keep your options open, there's a lot of tat about that people want far too much money for and a few good ones that owners don't realise are worth more to the enthusiast than the book price.

Be prepared to travel and don't rush into the first one you find.

All Corrados can be rewarding to own and drive, but they can all be money pits.

I take it leather is not very rare then? It's the only valver with leather I have seen so far tho.

I think the comment was in reference to the "Karmann" part, as all Corrados were Karmann built!

leather is not super common, but does seem to add a fair whack on the price. Seems a tad enthusiastic on the price, but like I say, the leather'll do it. You could always buy a cloth interior, swap em over and make yourself a few hundred notes.

I suppose it also depends on what has been replaced or upgraded, but it doesn't seem like there's any mods apart from the alloys.

That valver looks nice for the money, but I don't think you'll find much better than mathewb1985's for £2k.

The reason the G60 0-60 isn't great is down to the fact that it can't reach 60 in 2nd gear.

To be honest if i had £2k i'd rather buy a good condition valver than an average condition G60. Im one of these people that if im going to buy something, i'll buy the best of that model i can. When i got my valver for £1800 there was a local G60 for £150 more, but if i wanted a G60 i would budget £3k+ to get a better one. Same with the valver, there were plenty for £1000, but i wanted to pay extra and get a better one.

Having said that, 9 months into ownership ive spent £1500 on repairs, that including an engine rebuild, so maybe my above theory is full of **** :lol: