Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

Corrado 2.0 16v steering rack into a vr6 corrado? URGENT!!!

Is it possible? what are the differences? Im guessing the track rod ends may be different but can they be changed if they are?

will post the rado vag numbers as soon as i can.

It *might* work if you use VR6 tie rods and if the VR Column UJ fits the 16V rack splines.

They are different though. The VR one is made by ZF and the 16V is TRW (I think), they are very different.

I'm not so sure, ETKA only lists ZF racks for LHD VR6s

I've got a VR6 rack at home (with the longer tie rods) and it's identical to my 1990 16v rack apart from the 22 spline inlput from the UJ

As mentioned in another thread James R fitted a SEAT Ibiza rack (6K2422061B) to his VR6 and this part is now listed as a replacement for the 2.016v 22 spline rack

other VW/SEAT racks will fit too, but only the 16v/VR6 models have the quicker ratio rack like the C

hmm, thats makes it difficult to figure out, can someone tell me the length of a VR6 steering rack, ball joint to ball joint please. I will then measure mine. ta

I did a simuler job on my corrado last year,i had a damaged 2.0 valver rack on the car made by TRW,luckly i also had a spare mega low milage ZF rack.I had to change the inner steering arms as the valver TRW rack's versions are shorter,remember that it's IMPERATIVE that you use thread lock on the ball joint's threaded part that screws into the rack because when mixing the steering arms, 1 set (TRW) has a different threaded end compared to the ZF's arms,there's a kind of protrusion cast onto the ZF arms that's not present on the TRW arms so they won't bolt up flush to the steering rack end so in effect you can only screw the arms into the rack by a few threads... :D don't worry though,i've done this mod 15000km's ago and i'm still alive. :D

1 other thing you've got to do is change the PS pump over as the VR uses a ZF pump with a banjo bolt fixing on the high pressure side(TRW pump has a threade pipe union fitted) which also entails changing the HP oil feed pipe to the rack,track rod ends are the same but remember to fit them in the right order R+L sided,i fitted them wrongly first time because i couldn't remember which side is which seeing as the crap manual does'nt state from which end of the car i'm suppose to be looking from...Nothing happened,the car drove and steered normally.

If your using 205/50/15 inch rubber the tyres will rub on the inner wings when your at full lock,when using 195 tyres it does'nt happen,the steering universal joints bolt up no problem,just make sure your steering components come off a 2nd series corrado 22spline matched rack/UJshaft.

I feel that the ZF components are better quality than the TRW stuff,just my personal opinion.

Cool thanks

strange how you say that the vr uses banjo attatcthment, my VR powersteering pump is the screw thread type. so i can use the same pipework. or do you mean at the steering rack end the attatchments are different?

I did a simuler job on my corrado last year,i had a damaged 2.0 valver rack on the car made by TRW,luckly i also had a spare mega low milage ZF rack....

...I feel that the ZF components are better quality than the TRW stuff,just my personal opinion.

so is that on LHD cars then?

as I said, I have a VR6 RHD rack which is TRW as far as I can tell and ETKA (above) only lists ZF for LHD VR's.

Can i get round this problem by changing the linkage between the steering box and colum to a vr spec one? or will this not fit a 16v steering column?

trying to keep the conversion as oe as possible

Ok after looking on etka i decided to risk buying a vr UJ and seeing if that does the job. And yes it does, it turns out that the UJ's have different spline arrangement at the steering box end but are the same at the steering column end. This enabled me to keep the OE setup :)

thanks guys for your help