Sign in to follow this  
bananawhip

My valver is running like a tractor

Hello boys and girls,

I've got yet another problem with my 16v, I do love dubs and always have but my C has really started to test my patience and make me doubt just how reliable VW's are but I'll persist.

My latest problem is my C now runs like absolute crap! the revs are all over the place, The exaust pops and bangs, it stalls and is just generally undrivable. It makes no difference if I've got my foot on the throttle or not and it will be doing it one minute then be fine the next, It has got progressively worse though. I have recently changed the following since it's started so I've ruled out...

Throttle body

Ignition switch

ECU

ISV

Inlet manifold gaskets

Little o rings on the injectors

Fuel filter

It is well maintained with a recent service and injector cleaner, and engine treatment stuff used a fair bit. I doesn't seem to make a difference if it's hot or cold. When it's not doing it the car pulls very well and sounds spot on. The fuel pump primes fine and buzzes although it does sound pretty loud but it's hard to say if it's louder then usual. To my knowledge the 1.8's don't have a lamda so it's not that either but I might be wrong.

Any suggestions are welcome as I have an excessive speeding court case in two weeks and if I'm going to lose my licence I wanna have some fun with it first.

Please help

To be honest reading your complaints my first impression was lambda sensor or the wiring related to it (this is more likely if the problem is on and off). But if it doesn't have one then i'm unsure what it could be. But if you are likely to be losing your license I wouldn't be worrying about spending money on the car to be honest.

As I said I don't think they had one on the older valvers but I may be wrong, Hopefully someone can clarify this for me.

You have a very valid point about my impeninding ban but I'll need to sell it anyway so I've gotta sort it.

Going to buy a scrappy G60 and make it awesome whilst I'm off the road...Stick that in your pipe and smoke it magistrates!

1.8s don't have a lambda.

Check the timing. It almost sounds like the sheared crank keyway problem that affects G60s.

Check the oil pressure too. The pumps are known to fail with the relief valve jammed shut, causing excessive oil pressure which jams the tappets open, causing similar symptons to yours.

yep 1.8 def doesn't have lambda or knock sensors

I'd suggest checking the injector spray patterns, system pressures and make sure there is smooth movement in the airflow plate, pops and bangs would be unburnt fuel

what are the plugs like, are they all in the same condition?

does the pump noise pitch vary, they all buzz, but warbling up and down is bad

what's the ignition side like, are the leads/cap/dizzy in good nick, oil in dizzy?