Sign in to follow this  
IrishG60

Sub frame disaster

Well... I did it... I bought my first Corrado G60... I've been watching them since I was 15 years old... I've been in love with them for years... a dream of mine has always been to own one!

BUT.. and there always is a but... she's failed the NCT.. basically this is the Irish MOT... but it's very very strict... especially on rust!

So it turns out that even though she passed the MOT just before I bought here in the UK (Corrado's are very rare in Ireland and I bought mine in the UK six weeks ago and imported her)...

I need a new subframe... and I do mean the entire thing... roll bar, wishbone, driveshaft, steering, the whole thing...

Can anyone tell me does the Corrado share its subframe with another VW... I've heard that the VR6 uses the same as the MK3.. but I've also been told that the G60 frame is different... I'll probably need to search some junk yards or something...

I pretty much broke myself getting this car... and now I've no idea how much this sort of repairs will cost...

Any advice (the more the better) you have on this would be greatly appreciated...

depends exactly what corrosion it failed on I guess, perhaps you could take off the subrame and get it repaired or just blasted and painted/powdercoated, wishbones for the G60 can be had fairly cheaply new, easiest to get ones complete with bushings.

the subframe and wishbones can get pretty scruffy looking as they take a lot of punishment down there, but they don't suffer from structural problems very much AFAIK.

one garage told me that if it was powerblasted there'd be nothing left!!!!... another (second opinion) said that it wasn't as bad as all that... that maybe a painting would do...

Have you any idea where I'd locate new G60 wishbones with bushings etc? - I'm learning as I go with this...

Hi,

Depends on where in Ireland you are for parts really! There is a GSF (just click the GSF word for a link to their site) shop in Dublin that you could get wishbones + bushings from for pretty cheap. Or else AVS also deliver to Ireland. Or get orig parts from any VW dealer (wouldn't like to see the price of a subframe from a dealer though!! :shock: )

My suggestion would be to ask the lads on http://www.vagdrivers.net they would be more up to speed on where to get parts there 8)

Can't believe they'll fail it for surface rust on big solid lumps of metal like that!!

Got any pictures??

hi,

I've just rebuilt my front suspension/steering(and rear suspension - hit a large rock which f@@ked both up and broke two wheels!).

Anyway- I live in Meath and work in Dublin - If you need some advice you can PM me.

regarding your front end - control arms including bushing from GSF or OTTO are about 48inc vat, you probably just need new roll bar bushings. not sure about the subframe clean it up and it'll probably be ok- mine has some rust also, I imported mine about 18 months ago -I think the Brits use salt on their roads which encourages the rust?)

good luck with it!!

jason.

Are you sure its the subframe they are failing you on and not on the radiator support panel?

Thats the only part that I can think of up front that is normally rusted to the extreme that sandblasting would cause it to disintegrate, sure if a subframe was rusted to that point would the engine have not made a break for freedom by now?

Hi. Are you sure its the subframe?

I had to replace the subframe on my G in January as it had sheared near the steering arm and basically the whole thing fell off. Driveshaft came out, wheel went crunching under the arch and got stuck between the top of the arch and the rear of the front arch. Was stuck for 2 hours in the middle of the road. Id get it done asap if i were you!!

I had trouble locating one and got told lots of diff stories from breakers and VW. breakers were saying any would fit apart from a VR, VW told me it had to be from a rado or golf G60 or a rallye. A VW breaker in Derby assured me that a 16v one would fit and i picked one up off him with anti roll bar for £25 and got a local garage to fit it. They had no problems doing it and it took them half a day.

Most of them are a bit rusty by now so id check yours thoroughly and if its shot then look out for a solid one but i wouldnt be too bothered about cosmetics. shave any surface rust off it and give it a good lick of paint as I did and you should get some more years out of it.

alternatively, and much more expensively, VW will get one for you but they have to come from Germany and are I think about £270 exc VAT. This put me off quite a bit so I went for the quick fix.

Let us know how you get on.

cheers

sam

Again guys many thanks for the great advice... as my Clutch has also just failed (these things happen in three they say!) I'm going to concentrate on getting that right and then get back to the subframe issue...

Will keep you guys posted...