Sign in to follow this  
Rory O'Neill

Oil Burner

Hi,

My Corrado VR6 has covered over the 100,000 and has been burning an increasing amount of oil. Now it's burning almost a litre/refill of fuel. Puffs of smoke occasionally out of the exhaust. I'm told I need to have the engine replaced. Taking it out and replacing damaged parts would be as costly? I've been quoted £2,500 for the whole job, which seems a little steep to me.

Does anyone have any useful tips to bring the cost down?

Cheers

Rory

Welcome to the forum!

Mine burns a bit too but it is a TDI :lol:

Hmmm... 2.5k is about the price of a new VAG engine on an exchange basis... (without labour of course)

New engine would be great as the VR's don't last forever but you could maybe get away with a cheaper option depending on what is wrong - maybe get a few opinions from garages - my recomendation would be Stealth Racing if you are anywhere near...

mine gets thru oil too, but that seems normal to me for such a large engine with 150,000miles on it

doesn't really seem to cause any adverse effects so i'm living with it

not sure how much it uses/leaks, but i've gotten thru 2 of the bottles of syntha silver over 18,000miles??? is that bad?

Welcome to the forum!

Mine burns a bit too but it is a TDI :lol:

Hmmm... 2.5k is about the price of a new VAG engine on an exchange basis... (without labour of course)

New engine would be great as the VR's don't last forever but you could maybe get away with a cheaper option depending on what is wrong - maybe get a few opinions from garages - my recomendation would be Stealth Racing if you are anywhere near...

Thanks for the welcome.

So perhaps 2.5K is a reasonable amount, relatively speaking!

I live in central London if that is any good for Stealth Racing?

mine gets thru oil too, but that seems normal to me for such a large engine with 150,000miles on it

doesn't really seem to cause any adverse effects so i'm living with it

not sure how much it uses/leaks, but i've gotten thru 2 of the bottles of syntha silver over 18,000miles??? is that bad?

Mine has always used oil, but now it's using 1 litre per 350-400 miles and puffing smoke out the exhaust on some occasions.

Does it puff blue smoke out the back on the over-run or when accelerating away after a period of over-run, or both?

Over run being foot off the gas, slowing down in gear.

100,000 is about the time you need to get the head rebuilt (and the chains replaced), so you might get away with just that. You won't be able to tell if the block is knackered without taking the head off or doing a leak down test.

1 litre per 350-400 miles is excessive, but VW quote the engine can use 1 litre per 1000km in the manual, so yours isn't far off! That is a worst case scenario though to stop people ringing up complaining. VW just say "Look in the manual", it's normal.

If I bought a VR6 brand new, I wouldn't be impressed with that level of consumption, or blue smoke from the exhaust to say the least, so I don't know why VW think that much oil consumption is "acceptable".

Yep, again mine consumes around a litre ever 400 miles or so. I got quoted £2k for a new engine from VAG, garage that got me quote didnt say anything about an exchange basis though. I also got quoted around 1600 for a top end rebuild. So imo the new engine seems the better option.