Sign in to follow this  
RobyD

check your brake lines...

On saturday my mate was just leaving his road near is house and had to giveway to another car as there were cars parked on his side. He braked but the pedal went right to the floor and nothing :shock: Went in to the side of a parked car but luckily missed the oncoming car.

He was very lucky as the other car was hardly damaged (owner said dont worry about it) and his car just hopefully needs a new wing, side repeater and some paint etc.

He got out and there was brake fluid everywhere including all the way from his house.

Stupid thing was that he serviced it himself that morning but could only be bothered to do a oil/filter change. I think he's learnt his lesson :)

He was very lucky that he wasnt going quickly.

You should regulary check both flexxi hoses on the back and front and check and check they dont bulge when the peddle is applied or they have started to crack and also check the resovoir bottle fluid level. check the solid break lines that go from the front to the back of the car for leaks as well and look at the master cylinder for break fluid leaks... obvious stuff really.

You have to ask though had he upset his girl freind before getiing in his car? :twisted:

No seriously He was also very lucky that no one walked out in front of him.

I dont know exactly what happened as when i spoke to him he hadnt had a look and was gonna take it into work to have a look. Just imagine that the obvious fault was a burst flexi, brake fluid had come from the n/s/f wheel

He's usually really good at maintenence on his car(he's a ford technician) but he's at the stage when he's bored with the car and is planning on selling it - cant really be bothered. He usually washes it every 2-3 days but it aint been washed for 3 weeks.

Makes you think though. Luckily he was only going 20mph or so, any faster and it could of been very scary :shock:

As someone who had a front (braided) brake line fail on my car at 135mph last March I can assure everyone that this is probably one of the most unfunny things that can happen to you on the road.

In my case the "problem" occurred on the motorway and so was able to bring the car to a halt without hitting anything but it was certainly a big moment. I think the Germans have a word for it "shitzenselfen" or something.

The problem was caused the the garage who fitted the braided hoses not doing the job right, allowing the hose to gently rub against the driveshaft.

John

The problem was caused the the garage who fitted the braided hoses not doing the job right, allowing the hose to gently rub against the driveshaft.

John

I bet your mechanic was originally from Leeds - they're all thick as pig s**t up here.

John

Last time I was at stealth I noticed some braided lines on a storm and they had fitted a kind of insulated coil around them to protect them and to protect other parts from the abrasiveness of the braiding which is something alot of garages neglect to consider.

apparently you wanna buy braided hoses from Bike places. you get any length you want, any fittings, but the bonus is the braided is sheathed. i have heard dirt can get in a corrode the braid and this stops it .

HTH.