Sign in to follow this  
Slimg60

seized coilovers

Decided to lower my car today, only the coilovers are stuck soild.

I've tried soaking them in WD-40 and everyother oil I had in my shed, as well as a 3foot extension bar on the C spanner itself but just bent it.

Is there anything else I can try?

just get some deep penatrateing maintenance spray that should do it leave it over night should work a treat??!!

I'd keep putting penetrating spray on for the week, wire brush them and possibly get some Wurth rust off freezing spray which might help to make them move by thermally shocking the corrosion. Dunno how the coilover would like it though...

If they're stuck solid, you'll have to remove them and put them in a vice.

Had to do that with my H&Rs.

The rear struts never see heat or rotational movement like the fronts, so they corrode badly. The best thing I've found for preventing it is duct tape on the exposed thread when installing them new. Oils and wax oyls etc don't work. They just attract even more dirt.

Thanks for the replys, managed to get the rears free'd up today and I'll have a go at the fronts tomorrow.

I've thought about putting PTFE tape around the threads, would this help to stop them corroding again?

This will sound really manky but best "Winter rust inhibitor" I found was Used engine oil sprayed on and leaft to "Dry" for a day or so.... Did this to the floorpan of my Notch... It was so low that if I'd used a "Normal" waxoyl etc it'd just scrape it off, so just re-applied every month or so over the "Salty months"... Worked a treat... Come spring just jetwashed it off (that made me popular with the Garage!) and all was good...

I guess it's a case of once you have them freed off just keep on top of them! (maybe Vasoline would help? Stop the crud getting to the threds? Another Air-cooled winter trick, this time on polished alloys... they looked mank when you do it but protects the alloys from salt...maybe it'll work on your coilies?)

I used to know a guy down the road who soaked the underside of his Cortina with WD40 once a month, and it worked, it never rusted :lol:

Yeah PTFE tape should work but it's a pain to remove. If you use Vas, buy the little tins of lip stuff, less embarrassing than the huge tubs at the till :lol: