Sign in to follow this  
thepump

Stalling between gearchanges

Driving a 95 2.0 8v. The problem is that the engine keeps stalling between gearchanges. It idles smooth enough but a little low (350rpm). I have examined for air leaks but can't find any. I can't find any type of idle control valve either. Can anyone shine any light on the problem. Also what is the canister type device under the airbox and what it's for? Any help greatly appreciated

Sounds like you need to scan the ECU for faults, I think the 2.0 8v has a smart enough ECU. 350 rpm is as you say "a little low". I would say it's a LOT low myself. About 40% of where it should be!

does it stall everytime you change gear, or when you shift down when, say, approaching a junction or something?

Also, 350rpm is very low..

idling at 350 rpm is probably wrong. Had another look today. Truth is it's hard to tell. Don't drive the car all the time but it appears to be idling faster today than usual but I remember thinking thats idling very low. However it does fall very low when the throttle is released. It doen't seem to matter whether i'm changing up or down the gears. It is probably a good idea to get the ECU read. Will do that when I get time. Cheers

Does it ever stall whilst idling? Is the problem getting progressively worse?

I recently had a very similar problem in my VR6, and replacing the ECU Relay SEEMS to have solved the issue. It cost about £11+VAT from the stealers, and takes about 1 minute to remove the old and fit the new.

In the VR, it was relay #109, but am not sure which number it would be for your car, or if it works in the same way.

I am no guru with these things, but thought I'd offer any help I could.

the car will idle fine and it does't seem to be getting any worse. It's just seems to be when you lift your foot of the throttle between gearchanges. if you don't catch it in time its stalled. It jumps to life when the clutch is released. I think I might have one of those relays in the garage( i collect everything). I'll keep you posted.