Sign in to follow this  
dr_mat

Clutch master / slave cylinders

Hi all,

My clutch pedal is becoming a little notchy (for want of a better word) so I'm assuming that either the master or slave cylinder seals are contaminated or leaky (late model VR6 btw). Question is - how can you tell which is the problem and does anyone have a spare one of either kicking around that's in good condition that you'd like to get rid of?

And how tricky are they to replace? One hour labour? Two?

Cheers,

Matt.

not really a problem, slave cyl is cheap as chips £40 form gsf, its a vw one with the part no ground off made by fag,, takes about 10 mins to fit,, master cyl is about £80 and more of a pain as there are parts to disconnect inside and teh master cyl is pretty tight to the engine etc.. try teh slave forst,, may also be worth bleeding teh sys through as its often a neglected area at fluid changes..

Yeah, could be manky fluid but I'd be tempted to get a slave anyway if it's not been done before...

Any signs of leaks Matt?? (there may not be tho)

Easy enough to shoot some new fluid thru it with an Eezibleed kit and an 11mm Brake pipe spanner... then it's just a case or 2x10mm bolts and the pipe union to change it...

I have to say it might well be worth rebleeding it, because it went slightly notchy once before and the problem went away after a bleed through. No signs of leaks, tbh, I'm not losing fluid at all (level in the tank stays the same for ever). It only really gets notchy once the car warms up, too, it's usually pretty smooth when it's cold.

Good info on the GSF slave cyl, if it's the exact same part as the VW one gotta be worth getting hold of one of those.

Cheers all.