Sign in to follow this  
Fanjita

Bit of Advice

Hi all,

I'm 20 and a previous owner of a 2002 1.8 astra sri. I'm now in the market for something a bit nippier and I'm seriously considering the VR6 Corrado. I would be very grateful if anyone can offer me some sound advice? Budget : around £4k I'd like as low mileage and as good nick as possible. What should i look out for? Any known issues? Many thanks,

Jim

Welcome :)

1. Use the search - one of the mods will say it in a minute anyway! ;)

2. I'd say to start: same as any other car. Just go on what you see in front of you on the day. Sure a service history etc is obviosuly good, but it's what's there now that counts.

They're great cars and not too bad to run IF maintained properly.

Got deep pockets? :)

i thought an introduction was worth the post as well as the questions its why i didnt search.

I live with my folks so i dont really have that many outgoings, ive got enough for the insurance which as you imagine wont be that good for me! I do plan to maintain and modify the motor to get a few more horses and such. Do you think 4k would get me a fairly decent one then? Jim

FANJITA: If I was you I would decided what i really wanted and then go looking. What colours do you like, Do you want leather, do you def want lower mileage or would be happy with a car with higher mileage and a rebuild?

That said they are great cars and be prepared to travel. A lot of people here are on there second or more corrados they are that addictive!

Welcome to the forum

im not really bothered to be honest, i've been told a few times that these cars wear the miles like no time has gone by. Id prefer low mileage but rebuild/new engine aint outta the question!! I think leather seats might be a nice touch, it'd be my first! As for travelling, i went to oxford to get my astra sri im quite prepared to travel to get a better motor than i would here, just a bit worried about going so far only to find im not happy with it!

Sorry to revive an old thread, but a few weeks ago I spoke to the guy selling the dragon green corrado. Picked it up on the last day in June, needless to say im very happy. Many thanks for your advice, the car has a few minor problems, but all are on the road to being sorted. I've puchased and fitted a Magnex cat-back system, and also Magnecor HT Leads w/bosch special plugs. Looking good so far!! Jim

£4K will fetch you a nice VR6, but put the time and effort into the search. Be prepared to travel far, and look at a few good examples before you make a decision. The best bet would be to purchase from a well established member on here. That way there should be alot of people that have already seen the car or know it well, so can vouce for its condition. When i was looking for a mk2 golf a while back there was a standard valver going for £1000 over the average asking price, but when i went to see it my god was it worth it! Every little detail had been looked at, and everything anal was replaced etc, so look out for good examples that at first appear over priced.

Also, dont be put off by high mileage rebuild engines. Ive recently had my valver rebuilt (ok it had only done 121k before the rebuild), but now the engine feels amazing! And i bet it drives and pulls better than a 'low mileage' C (which will be around the 90k mark im guessing)

Skinniman - he already owns one!!

Fanjita - cheers for letting us know and glad you found what sounds like a good one!

Ah yes, ive just read the reply above my own, guess thats what happens when you read the first few replies then skip to the end of the thread :lol:

indeed, I'm a very happy customer!! ill get some pics of the old girl soon, just for your perusal!! Jim

I hope you find a Corrado you like, but frankly if you're currently driving around in a 2002 year car then you're probably in for a culture shock with a Corrado. It's gonna feel old compared to your Astra (after all it will be) but if you can get through that expect a lengthy love affair.

There was a low mileage Storm unsold on eBay for £4,500 a couple of days ago - might be worth a punt, see if he'll take an offer?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260135812982&rd=1&rd=1

thanks for the help corozin, but ive already got one!! ive revived this thread just to let the guys who helped me know!!