Sign in to follow this  
dubmas

wot sort of vr for 3.5k?..+ wot milage the vr god for?

yo, i just got my hands on 3.5k and i want to try to get a nice vr6 with it..

what sort of milage spec conditon do think i can expect to get for this?

lookin around s.wales bristol area.

any advice?

ta

(EXCITED MUCH! forgotten the mk3 already!)

Apologies for earlier. I think myself and another mod deleted your double posting by deleting each one of the two threads so you had nothing left. Doh!

You were asking about a buyers guide before - well read and be enlightened!

3.5k should get you a great VR - prices are a bit weak at the moment - bad for sellers, great news for you! :)

cool, been lookin about the trader/bay/piston heads ect... seen some nice ones,

not sure about the ones pushin 140k? i dont do much milage (about 6k a year) but not sure how long the engines go for on the VR?

im guess you can keep em running to about 180,000? obviously depends onhow you treat em... but generally.

- dont wanna go buying dream car only to be replacing the engin in few thou miles!!

big numbers.. scarry...pursuade me they are still good haha ! :shock:

yeah dont worry about the miles pal they will do 300k with out any real issues at all, as long as its looked after, alot out there have got at least 100k on them anyway.

and tbh i would rather get one with 100k than one with 60k thats been stood alot or has history missing and trip computer doesnt work!!!

cool, been lookin about the trader/bay/piston heads ect... seen some nice ones,

not sure about the ones pushin 140k? i dont do much milage (about 6k a year) but not sure how long the engines go for on the VR?

im guess you can keep em running to about 180,000? obviously depends onhow you treat em... but generally.

- dont wanna go buying dream car only to be replacing the engin in few thou miles!!

big numbers.. scarry...pursuade me they are still good haha ! :shock:

there are still loads of rados out there with 200k plus - even some over the 300k mark - on the engines and have never had chains/tensioners/rebuilds etc etc... they are good, strong solid engines that are built to be driven. 140k on the clock wouldnt put me off at all, and to be honest with only 3.5k to spend you are unlikely to get one with much less than that!get something with a decent history and you'll be fine....

Agreed with what has been said. On high mileage, budget to have some head work done at some point and the classic timing chains / tensioner / clutch type job eventually but otherwise the VR is a fairly solid old lump! I would happily buy a 140,000 miler!

as said mileage is pretty much irrelevant, best thing to do is go see a few and drive them. Youll soon tell if its a lemon or not. Regarding the vr lump, if its rattling its balls off then its time to look at chains tensioner and clutch while your at it, however this is a good bargaining point and once its done with the sort of mileage youre doing its doulbtfull itll need done again in your ownership. Have a look on the left hand side of the head where it meets the block for anything wetas its common for the 2.9 head gasket to spring a leak in the top left corner. For the money your looking at paying there are plenty of really good cars around. Just drive a few

Gav

Mines just under 140k now and its as smooth as hell, no rattling, doesnt miss a beat AND im going to slap a supercharger on it soon so will be pushing out almost another 100bhp so that will be a good test for it :lol:

Like said though for that amount of money now you should get one with moderate mileage and maybe even leather etc so just look around, drive a few and go from there. By driving a couple you will easily tell which is good and which is bad to drive!!