Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

A mystery about US and UK G60's and interference engines...

alright I need to know what is going on now. I have since had the problem fixed but I was wondering about differences between US and euro engines ( I highly doubt there is any).

about 1 year and a half ago I sheared the key on my crank grear. I didnt know it at the time and I attempted to fix the "problem" that I didnt know the cause of. during this I actually tightened my crank nut (it came loose) my car ran for about 15 seconds. took it to the mechanic and he got a new gear on there. what I want to know is what is the difference between the US G60 and the UK G60, I know my timing was off by at least 180 degrees at one point, which means engine should have smashed valves according to everyone in the UK..... I never got a smashed valve... no leaks nothing.... 2 of my friends in the area with them, same problem no bent valves...

3 lucky blokes?

Bentley manual states its a non interference engine.... is there something I know know between UK And US corrados???

just a mystery I was trying to clear up.

Jonathan

I have heard of uk G60's with snapped cambelts and sheared key's which have not bent any valves but i have also seen others that have bent every single valve, it seems like they will only make contact if the belt snaps at very high RPM seems more like luck to me.

I have sheared the ket on my crank with a HOR260 cam and did not have any problems on my US Spec G60 motor. I've only heard of a couple people that have bent valves when this happens, typically on 268 cams.

Looking at both the bentley and the UK VAG manual for a G60 the comp ratio is the same. As they are the same capacity engine then they must have the same size rods, so no difference in internal engine parts.

The G60 piston does not have any cut-outs for valves so the valves should never be getting close enough to the piston during normal running, although high speed running wth a snapped belt usually causes bent valves regardless of clearances.

180 degrees out on the cam wont cause the valves to hit the pistons. my valves do come past the bottom of the head, which is to be expected as the valves sit level with the bottom of the head with no cam in

they should sit in their seats with no cam in. it was anywhere between 0-180 degrees out so it had the chance to hit, but it was something like 500 rpms when it ran.