Sign in to follow this  
Youngy

Colour coding - smooth look

Hi people

This is my corrado in the pic if you follow this link (crappy pic, doesn't do car justice)

http://www.xlr8.co.im/Gallery/p17_secti ... mageid/949

I want to remove the rub strips, the black sticker line that runs right down each side of the car and the black vw decals on each door.

Will this be an easy job? what is the best way? (using a heat gun)

And will it look smart?

Ta many

Not sure about how to get the VW decal off, but the rubbing strips are stuck on with adhesive tape. Its messy crap and never comes off in one peice, would try a hair dryer before taking a heat gun to it as that might lift the paint off your door.

If you are going to do it, best thing to do is take your time and be patient, its one of those annoyingly boring tasks that will probably take ages to do but if you rush it you will either scratch the paint or worse still lift it off the door.

Not sure about how to get the VW decal off, but the rubbing strips are stuck on with adhesive tape. Its messy crap and never comes off in one peice, would try a hair dryer before taking a heat gun to it as that might lift the paint off your door.

If you are going to do it, best thing to do is take your time and be patient, its one of those annoyingly boring tasks that will probably take ages to do but if you rush it you will either scratch the paint or worse still lift it off the door.

Whoa do you mean the big ugly plastic lumps running down the sides of the doors between the arches is just stuck on with tape??? No clips? if i take it off then there is just paint and no holes?

I think so mate, not 100% as i havnt done them on mine yet but im 95% sure as i have heard plenty people on here that have done it. Did it on my MK2 and that was a headache because of the holes it left but im sure the rado ones are just stuck on!

Whoa do you mean the big ugly plastic lumps running down the sides of the doors between the arches is just stuck on with tape??? No clips? if i take it off then there is just paint and no holes?

just tape, no clips. allow 3-5 hours for glue removal!

use a heat gun, but obviously be careful.

I did mine in just over an hour.

Trick is to try and remove the tape with the strip, rather than fight to get it off of the body work after the strip is off. I used some tar remove to clean up the residue too, with the aid of a plastic paint scraper thingy

Search "Bump Strip AND Removal" as there are a few threads on this already here

as the weather is a little warmer at the moment it might be worth using a hair dryer rather than a heat gun, there is no risk of burning the paint or rubber trim then, mine came off easily with hot water and car wash shampoo, carefull not to bend the trim at too sharp of an angle when you pull it off or it will kink and its difficult to straighten it again if you ever want to re-fit it.

Happy days, I'll give that a whirl this weekend then.

Also, not sure if anybody else has this but there is a black stripe that runs down the full side of the car. Is this easy to come of with a hair dryer/heat gun?

Thanks very much

those decals are after market, so it would be hard to say whether they'll be easy or not.

I'd image a similar tactic as the bump strips would work though, just melt/soften the glue with some heat, take your time, and be gentle.

ps, Youngy was my nickname all through school :)

lol, I want them all off so I'm gonna get them of no matter what!!!

My knick name was that all throught school (still sort of is) but Paul was already used on her so went back to youngy! lol