Sign in to follow this  
max

2.0L knowledge required

ok, brace yourselves for a load of questions. i have got my eye on a 94 2.0 8v corrado, i understand the 8v is rarer than the 16v, and the 16v has more power. what i need to know is> are they both audi engines? are parts harder to get for the 8v? is the 8v more or less reliable than the 16v? what kind of m.p.g. could i expect from either? is there any scope for tuning the 8v[e.g. cams/chips/manifolds/exhaust/bypassing cat e.t.c.] any other info on differences between the two would be appreciated. many thanks to anyone who can help me with these questions. P.S. performance figures[o>60 top speed] would help me.

the 8v is basically the same 8v as found in the Golf GTI of the same era(albeit in the Corrado there was at least 2 variants of it) and the 16v IIRC is an Audi design

The VW 2L 8v engine is pretty strong and although the head limits the power it's mid range is good and it's also an economical engine, more so than the 16v, partly due to the fully electronic injection system. Obviously it depends how you drive but the 8v should average at least 35mpg and will do far better than that on longer cruises. Compared to any of the other corrados expect several mpg more on average given the same driving conditions.

High lift cams, big valves and headwork can raise the power to 150bhp ish on an 8v, but it's costly for the results bhp/£ and ultimately the head design isn't great for performance.

The same basic engine is found in many VAG cars of the era, audi 80's, passats and golf GTIs are just a few and it's reliable and pretty cheap to maintain and easy to work on.

I believe there was around 213 8V Corrado's (maybe wrong) so they are definatly rare, although they are of the least disirable as they are are abit performance lacking. They have the ADY code engine in which is exactly same as the MK3 Golf gti but that engine was only used between the years 1994 and 1995 and the majority of the parts from the Mk3 Golf Gti will fit straight on.

I have one and I quite like it but its a bit sick at the moment and I get about 30Mpg but I know that if you drive it right you can see close to 40Mpg.

They also fitted the engine in the passat/sharan/vento and I think in some seats 8)

No mods on mine at the moment :( my G60 see's to that

I'm not sure why you'vre started this thread mate, i've locked your other one in the engine bay section. In future try and keep to one thread per subject :)

EDIT - I've just found another thread that you've started to ask pretty much the same question :lol: Please keep to this thread