Sign in to follow this  
yorkshireone

Which brakes???

Gonna upgrade the brakes on the rado shortly, just wondered what the most common way of doing this was, dont want to break the bank on some brembos! KADVR6 mentioned the 288s from the mk3 vr6 are a good upgrade. what you think?

jamie

If you want to run the standard 15" alloys then 288mm are your only choice as 312mm would be too big! Just done the 288mm on mine and so much better than standard!

wouldnt know if they would take 312's mate someone should though! Yeah from a late golf vr6 1996-98 i think as before that they were 280's!

312s under 16s - it's a hit and miss thing. All you could do is find someone else with 312s and try your wheel on their car.

hi Jamie, i'm that someone :) your D90's will take the TT312's but you will have to shave a bit of metal off the calliper though, only about 1-2mm.

also the brake hoses on the 288's will fit the corrado brake lines, so you dont need to buy any.

karl

Yeah larger calipers with the 288s, i think the 288s and the 312s use the same size calipers though, im sure ill be corrected if im wrong :)

the callipers are the same on the 288's as the 312's, the difference in the size of the pad, is the main reason for for moving on from the 280's the 288/312 pad is about a third bigger. hence better stopping power, the 312's are better than the 288's as brake fade is less noticable. but not by much.

so i would go with the 288's, but with very good discs/pads.

karl

Im interested in this thread as I have bought a set of 288's (picking up at the weekend) but i wondered if this could be cleared up...

Ok fella. I know Enfield very well..... I used to live there!!

Can someone confirm if the standard Golf 288 brake lines will fit a Corrado?

Cheers

Nope, the lines are different, the Corrado ones are the same as the passat.. Might as well upgrade to goodridges while your on with the job..

IMO 50 quid is a bargain for these, i paid more than that for mine, great upgrade for any VR...

But earlier on the thread i saw this......

hi Jamie, i'm that someone :) your D90's will take the TT312's but you will have to shave a bit of metal off the calliper though, only about 1-2mm.

also the brake hoses on the 288's will fit the corrado brake lines, so you dont need to buy any.

karl

So do the existing brake hoses / lines fit a corrado?

Cheers

jamminvr6storm i saw that post on E38, thats why I asked the question on here too. To be honest I think the brake lines do fit because a few people have told me that now, although I reckon I'll be upgrading to goodrichs at the same time anyhow! :D

they are the same length as the corrado ones so dont see why they wouldnt fit! But if you do go goodridge make sure you do get the golf vr6 late ones as they are banjo fit from flexi to caliper!

Hi,

I need some clarification too. I'm looking to upgrade from standard VR6 280mm to 288mm...

1)Can these fit behind the standard 15" 5 pot speedlines?

2)Do I need to/should I upgrade to some sort of upgraded drilled/grooved disk?

3)From other threads it seems my best bet for fast road driving + longevity of pad = Ferodo DS2500?

3)After the above all I need from 'ebay' is a set of Golf mk3 vr6 callipers?

I don't have speedlines at present. Running the standard Speedlines how much caliper and disk can be seen through the wheel? Although really just after a performance upgrade I'd like to consider the 'cosmetic' too. Are there any nice powder-coated calipers I can consider? Not too bling mind you....

Final question. Am I naive to think that a brake upgrade will get me a discount from my insurer as I can stop quicker?!

Thanks

Hi,

I need some clarification too. I'm looking to upgrade from standard VR6 280mm to 288mm...

1)Can these fit behind the standard 15" 5 pot speedlines?

2)Do I need to/should I upgrade to some sort of upgraded drilled/grooved disk?

3)From other threads it seems my best bet for fast road driving + longevity of pad = Ferodo DS2500?

3)After the above all I need from 'ebay' is a set of Golf mk3 vr6 callipers?

I don't have speedlines at present. Running the standard Speedlines how much caliper and disk can be seen through the wheel? Although really just after a performance upgrade I'd like to consider the 'cosmetic' too. Are there any nice powder-coated calipers I can consider? Not too bling mind you....

Final question. Am I naive to think that a brake upgrade will get me a discount from my insurer as I can stop quicker?!

Thanks

1) yes but you need to grind a bit off

2) personal opinion but unless you like the look of the drilled grooved disc and /or drive like a nutter i doubt you'll need the extra cooling!

3)i have DS2500 on my golf with 288's... dusty as a mo fo, i'm sticking with the green stuffs i have on my 312's

3) the callipers and carriers are used on late model vr6 mk3's, mk4 golfs/boras etc, udi a3/a4's skoda fabia's/octavias/suberbs i think its only the mk3s though that have the same hose fittings though, hopefully someone can clear it up!

look at herisites gallery for when he put the 288's with speedlines on his vr, filled the wheel nicely and he painted the callipers red so you could really see them! 8)

o and i dont think you'll get a discount when you tell them, if anything it makes the vehicle more expensive to repair, it'd be nice if it worked though so let usknow how you get on!

1) yes but you need to grind a bit off

2) personal opinion but unless you like the look of the drilled grooved disc and /or drive like a nutter i doubt you'll need the extra cooling!

3)i have DS2500 on my golf with 288's... dusty as a mo fo, i'm sticking with the green stuffs i have on my 312's

3) the callipers and carriers are used on late model vr6 mk3's, mk4 golfs/boras etc, udi a3/a4's skoda fabia's/octavias/suberbs i think its only the mk3s though that have the same hose fittings though, hopefully someone can clear it up!

look at herisites gallery for when he put the 288's with speedlines on his vr, filled the wheel nicely and he painted the callipers red so you could really see them! 8)

o and i dont think you'll get a discount when you tell them, if anything it makes the vehicle more expensive to repair, it'd be nice if it worked though so let usknow how you get on!

288's fit behind speedlines no probs mate and dont need any grinding to fit. You are right, they fill the speedies out a treat, hardly any daylight through them just pure brakes :D

288's fit behind speedlines no probs mate and dont need any grinding to fit. You are right, they fill the speedies out a treat, hardly any daylight through them just pure brakes :D

thats useful as the speedlines are gonna be my mot wheels for the golf :-)

Hi, could anyone clarify once and for all whether or not Mk3 Golf Vr6 flexis will fit on a Corrado if upgrading to Golf 288mm calipers?

I am hoping to do this conversion on Monday and will pick up some standard Golf rubber flexis (with banjo ends) if they'll fit the Corrado ok....

Thanks

Hi,

Pretty sure they will but look for a post about the DG braided lines kit. Ive just bought one and they are good, will help with pedal feel as well.

I'm really just hoping to go to a motor factors on Monday to pick up some hoses, that's why I was wondering if I need to order Mk3 Vr6 ones??! :nuts: