Sign in to follow this  
jonnyboyo

Slight play in steering wheel...Worry??

I seek wisdom as my steering wheel has developed a few millimetres (no more than 5mm) of up and down play. There is non side to side, just up and down. My car is a G reg 1.8with 126k.

Is this owt to worry about or gonna cost me a fortune in the long run, or should i bow out now and flog it before the big bill arrives?

Many thanks.

adjustable type column I guess? does it behave the same on higher/lower settings or just one position?

Push the locking arm home. The adjustable column is never rock solid, even when new, so the best you can hope for is "acceptable" instead of "good"..

On a slightly embarrassing note, i didn't realise the column was adjustable for height being an early valver. I'd better nip to the car and take a look now.

Just taken a look at the column now, and there definitely is no adjustable lever to be seen. Am i looking at a new rack or steering column then?

If you don't have the adjustable column you've probably got a loose column mount. You'll have to take the lower dash out to have a look.

It's nothing to do with the rack though, and the fixed column is pretty cheap even from VW, so you're not looking at a pot of cash.

For the fixed corrado steering column, the column itself is the same as a polo one, the outer tube is the Corrado specific part, so if you don't like the new VW price a second hand low mileage polo one is out there somewhere.

I think the whole kit, fixed column, shrouds, bolts will cost less than a ton from the dealers, it's small beer compared to the adjustable one ..

The column mount is a heavy metal bracket, with four shear bolts through it to hold it tight to the bulkhead. These bolts must be drilled out and replaced with standard ones when you work on it. Check them for tightness...

It's more like £200 with all the parts new and thats not including the UJ...

The problem reported may just be the lock housing at the top, it's a £20 part new but you may as well spend another £20 on a new ignition switch as well but best to take the cowling off and have a look first as it may just be a loose bolt - if it is tho be careful not to overtighted this as the lock housing is only made of ally... on the mk3 Golf this bolt was replaced with a shear bolt for some reason but they still come loose over time...

Many thanks for the speedy, informative replies everyone. I have a new steering wheel that needs fitting so will try and source the problem then :)