Sign in to follow this  
Twiss

Convert 16v front brake s to g60 brakes

just been though the search and I would just like to check to make sure that i understand.

All I need to convert my standard 16v front brakes to g60 are the following parts:-

g60 calipers (280mm)

g60 disks

g60 brake hoses

G60 pads

do I need to change anything else?

Thanks vaughn

You need the carriers that come with the calipers, these can either be from the G60 or the VR...

If you have an engineering shop machine 2.5-mm from the top of a G60 caliper carrier slider pin (where the thread is) you can use 16v pads (16.5-mm thick type) and calipers on G60 discs, therefore a 280-mm conversion without even having to bleed the brakes.

I did this conversion recently and still haven't Wikified it...

As mentioned above, you need G60/VR6 calipers and carriers, G60 Disks, and G60/VR6 pads.

I took the opportunity to change the brakelines to goodridges too.

You are better off not removing the brake line caliper from the caliper until you are ready to plug the new one straight in, otherwise you'll lose a lot of brake fluid. Also leave your bleed nipple loose until brake fluid starts to flow through it. gravity will do the majority of the bleeding for you.

Hope that helps.

Tom.

I did mine. You dont need the G60 hoses. But new hoses are always a handy idea.

Got my calipers off GSF from memory, yu can trade in the old ones I think. Carriers can be very expensive, I had to buy a VW one. New slider pins come with new carriers, but if you get hold of old ones, be sure to buy the pin kit off VW, that simply provides new rubbers and grease, as a corroded pin becomes a stuck pin, which results in broken brakes (usually stuck on).