Sign in to follow this  
tallpaul1977

Welding Up Sunroof

I want to completely remove my sunroof and have it welded up. Has anyone done this? Do you need to put any extra strengthing bars in? My Corrado is mainly used for track days and once the sunroof has been sorted will have a 6 point weld in roll cage installed.

Cheers Paul

If you simply want to weld in a sheet of steel and remove the sunroof mech then you won't need to strengthen anything, as the roof is still the same structure as if it had a sunroof in there, the roof mech frame doesn't add any strngth to the roof from what I can see. The only problem would be flexing of the roof and any filling required after welding having the potential to crack the paint around the original opening area, you'll never completely hide the appearance of it once having a sunroof but that might not matter if you're mainly interested in track days!

Just out of intrest were have you sourced your rollcage?

I'm after a proper 6 point weld in number for proper track use.

Cheers

Kris

You could bond a replacement panel in instead of welding.

Adhesives these days can be every bit as strong as welds are especially in shear.

I bought my 6 point weld in roll cage from Custom Cages, who built Ken Larks racing Corrado cage. I have now been told the roof has to be cut out to weld the cage in, so I will now be replacing the roof skin with a carbon fibre skin for looks and so I can remove the sunroof.

The roof will distort through weld heat.

Not if you weld in 2" sections and cool with an airline in between apparently. That's what the

classic car geezer that welded my gutters did, slow but it works!!!

You can cut down on the distortion with an airline but the sunroof is in the middle of the roof with no adjacent stiffening as is the case with the gutters - they are close to the edge of the roof where the sheet is formed (has a bend down the length).