Sign in to follow this  
jedi-knight83

Headlights. Any good???

Horrar!!! i just heard from the guy i was supposed to be buying a VR6 from.. so looks like sale is back on...

Anyways... i read somewhere that, just like the wiper arms and blade, the standard headlights leave alot to be desired... is this the case and what has been done by members or what could be done to solve this on the cheap???

No corrado yet but so far i have new wipers / a new bumper (in the pipeline) and now after new lights.... would be a shame if i never got the C wouldnt it :lol:

you can buy a relay and wiring and re-wire the headlights, this is what i will do.

im getting som lupo wipers from the stealer for free :D

best mates, birds brother works for VAG in the parts department. :D :D :D

Gavin on this forum as H100VW sells an uprated wiring loom, which increases the brightness alot.

I also bought some uprated bulbs, only about 20 quid I think, if that.

The total effect is amazing compared to the origanal output.

HTH

Thera

Is there a noticeable improvement from just fitting the bulbs which claim to be '50% brighter'? I was thinking along the lines of getting Osram or Philips bulbs without improving the loom.

I think it's £50. Best bet is to PM H100VW and ask. Alternatively, you could do a search for "uprated headlight loom" and see what you come up with. Hope this helps 8)

yeah, 50 notes, thats delivered (inc P&P), and worth every penny IMO.

uprating the bulbs on their own did nothing, honestly, you wouldn't tell the difference, but with the loom and the bulbs, I now have white light, and not dirty yellow.

think the bulbs were 17 quid (have that number in my head for some reason), thats main beam and sides

HTH,

Thera

I got Gavin's loom too - SUPERB! Honestly - the neatest and perfectly functioning loom you could want! GO FOR IT!! :)

Night driving has become thoroughly enjoyable!

MOT testers only check if your headlights work, not how they're wired up so provided you don't have a bulb out you should be fine.

Osram SilverStar bulbs are the best of the Xenon 50% type, the Phillips a close second. For £39 inc delivery and VAT, you can get (Osram SS) 2 x H4, 2 x H1 and 2 x Phillips Blue-white sidelight bulbs. http://www.powerbulbs.com

You do need the loom though.

The only thing illegal about modding your lighting is fitting 'Rally' 100/80 or 150/100 type bulbs. They're just too bright for road use, even on dipped beam, And more importantly, they don't last long. I've used them in the past and ended up driving home on the side light bulbs because they blew. One after the other in the space of 10 minutes. Unless you are driving at a continuously sufficient speed to cool the lights, they blow.

Kev

The idea of the loom is cause VW did it wrong in the first place...

No MOT failure with the loom.

Even Standard bulbs with a loom show a major difference.

Whats the max power bulb you can legally put in? In Halfords there are 130W 100W and 80W, then the standard 55W. But even the 80W says its not category E approved....

Maybe better to go for the best "Super Brilliance" 50% uprated 55/60W bulbs?

If the bulb packaging doesn't say EEC Legal on it, probably wise to avoid. Basically you cannot exceed the car's standard wattage, which in the majority of cases is an H4 60/55W, plus a H1 55W in the case of the Corrado.

The police will pull you over if they think you're running suped up bulbs.

Incidentally, how many of you retrim the lights after lowering?

Kev

Jez, that's not one of my looms.

I have two relays in mine one for dip and one for main beam. I think it's Bananaman off this forum that makes that one.

I have put them on abay in the past but won't be doing so anymore.

On the big bulbs front. I'd say if your lights are set correctly plod probably wouldn't notice. Of course I am going to add a disclaimer to that.

Who is plod going to pull, you with your big bulbs obeying the speed limit? Or the spotty kid in the Nova/Corsa/Saxo/Fiesta etc etc with blue washer jets/neons/gangsta tint/16inch backbox. :shock:

Geordie accent in the style of Big Brother "You decide". :lol:

Keep it under a hundred...........

Gavin

Who is plod going to pull, you with your big bulbs obeying the speed limit? Or the spotty kid in the Nova/Corsa/Saxo/Fiesta etc etc with blue washer jets/neons/gangsta tint/16inch backbox. :shock:

LOL :D :D What is with those washer jet things??

Though as far as "illegal" lights go, I suppose its like "illegal" number plates - I'd rather not give them an excuse to pull me over.

Kev, good point on the reallignment of lights. When I lowered mine, it kept the rear where it was, and brought the front down. The edge of drivers light pool disappearred below the bonnet line... :shock:

had a Nova drive by me on monday/tuesday, about 6:30, so dark, he just had his bloo side lights on, I really wanted to drive into the c*** and ruin his 3rd party insurance.

MOT will be cool, they even looked at the back of mine (cos the bloke who had it before me used cable ties to connected any fixings to the body, including headlights etc) but they were cool, If anything they should be happier, my lights are now upto the standard of everyone else.

Thera

Dan, the H4 is your dip and main beam in one bulb. The H3 is for the spotlights, which come one with the main beam. Leave the spot at 55W, 80/100 is the max I think you need in the H4. "Assuming they were legal, blah blah etc etc"

Gavin

yup Gavs right, was a year ago I change the bulbs, but I remember that much ;)

Thera