Sign in to follow this  
herisites

Need some car advice for my mum lol.

At the moment my mum and dad have an Audi A4 Quattro 2.5 TDI Sport which is a great car, but only gets used by my mum as a daily car so isnt really any good for her.

They are going to sell it pretty soon and just get a smaller more economical car for mum to use. I have suggested a VW Polo 1.4TDI as they can do 60mpg easily enough, cheap to insure (insurance group 4 i believe), will last forever. and is a VW :wink:

Is the polo a good choice or is there better out there?

Rob.

1.9TDi Sport.. combined 62mpg.. 60 in 10 secs... Then chip it...

Or tell them the 1.8T is a really good car.. 8secs to 60mph... :evil: Basically same as Ibiza Fr...

Ot there's always the Fabia VRs....

Well she's not a badge snob but she's not a woman racer either so not bothered about how much power it has and how quick it gets to 60 :lol: which is why i thought polo 1.4tdi.

She wants something thats going to last and not fall apart basically. Are the Skodas as good as the VW's or are they built to a budget?

Skodas have just as good build quality as VW's, if not better. The later the car the better the feel to the trim too. Fabia has always been a bit plasticy for my liking.

To be honest the Ford/PSA TDCI's are better than the VW 1.4/1.9 engines now, the new focus 1.6 TDCI seems the pick of the smaller diesels at the moment.

What about a trusty Lupo, they are cheap as chips these days, and the diesels run forever! Nice little daily driver with VW build quality. I had one for my first car and Id definately recommend them. 8)

seat ibiza 1.9tdi, the missus has one, and she drove to london then back to birmingham, it averaged 55.4 mpg. it looks pretty cool i think also.

karl

How many miles a year does she do. If its less than 15,000 and she's buying new it is cheaper to buy petrol

How many miles a year does she do. If its less than 15,000 and she's buying new it is cheaper to buy petrol

Its probably around that, maybe a tad more. She's not buying brand new, second hand but just a few years old i think would be best as she wants to keep the change from the Audi selling. Looking around at Polo 1.4TDI's she will be looking at about £5-6K for a fairly decent one with low ish miles.

when we were looking, the other half considered Polos too. Seemed you got less for your money, versus the Megan - a Golf sized car. The 1.5 deisel 100bhp gives her about 57mpg and me about 59 or more. Never worth booting the thing, got a power band between 2 and 3k only. Easy to park; low insurance. Tyres about £60 a corner. Picked hers up with 3k miles for crazy money; I'd look for one with 30k miles for about £5k. Drawbacks being concerns on Renault electronics and thier funny key card at £100 a peice; the ultra safety means massive front pillars and obstructed view to those with longer reach.

Maybe skodas worth a look?