Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

16v to vr6 conversion not starting suspected fuel problem

I have fitted a VR6 to my 16v corrado, plugged eveything back into the fusebox, and connected up everything i can see.

Turned the key to position 2 and couldnt hear the fuel pump prime, turned key further and the engine turned over via starter but didnt run, I suspect that the fuel pump isnt supplying fuel, but could be wrong.

All the fuses are fine, and all plugs in the fusebox are fitted securely. I do have rogue wires with plugs loose behing the fusebox, they look like they need to be connected to something but cant see where. Cant remember all the colours but some where (black/red and brown) connected to a yellow socket , black/yellow connected to a yellow plug, black/yellow connected to a black socket, blue/black connected to a green plug etc

car is low on fuel but not empty (i hope), car hasnt been ran for a month, and the fuel line in the engine bay were disconnected. cant think of anything else which is relavent.

how can i fix the problem or at least track down and eliminate possible problems?

thanks

Worth stick a few ltrs of fresh fuel in the tank...

Basically the way a VR works is that while starting (cranking) the ECU waits for a signal from the Crank Sensor before activating the FP relay

Ive cranked the car over a few times now but still wont run, how can i check this crank sensor? where is it too?

i have a spare black/yellow wire in the engine bay, is this to do with it?

Ive cranked the car over a few times now but still wont run, how can i check this crank sensor? where is it too?

i have a spare black/yellow wire in the engine bay, is this to do with it?

Hi Sam,

got it all together then 8) .

VR Sensor is on the front of the block near the gearbox. Pull the plug, get somebody to her crank over and measure the two pins in the plug from the sensor. Should have several volts AC on a meter. This is wired via the big multi plug on the engine to the ECU.

I'll have a look but don't think the black/yellow wire is anything to worry about, pretty sure I've got one hanging around also?

Pretty sure the fuel pump should prime when you initially turn on though. So it could be a wiring problem to the fuel pump relay as it is triggered from the ECU. Have you tried bridging the fuel pump relay with a cable tie? Should go then.

Got a Bentley manual here that'll help with the spare wires.

Ye got most of it together and just wanted to see if she would start. I noticed that fuel does seem very low so will put a little in to check that this isnt the problem. But i would have thought the pump would still prime.

Cable tie?? How?

Dave if the fuel situation doesnt work, any chance you could come and give me a hand. Obv I will pay expenses and a lil extra for your help, wouldnt ask normally but im gettin a little run down with it and needs to be done soon.

Pull the lid off the fuel pump relay and jam the contacts closed with a cable tie. A quick test.

Are you in Worcececestershire at the minute? A little busy this weekend but could be ok sometime next week if thats any help?

Don't get down mate, its only wires by the sound of it, plenty of help from here will get it sorted! :)

As Crasher said, diag port would be a huge help, will need to read fault codes and reset at some point anyway.

i dont have vagcom

also i have the old two plug interface, is this still usable? or do i need to converst to the fat plug style.

If you buy ( :lol: ) VAG-COM, or find someone with it who will help you, you need the early diag adapter.