Sign in to follow this  
just_say_meth

Hesitant G60 *update*

Hey everyone need a little help figuring this out!?

Noticed the other day that the car is slightly hesitant, it's fine and runs like normal through 1,2,3,4 gears but in 5th with my foot to the floor it hesitates at around 80 and then again at around 100 (Private road of course) other than that acceleration is normal.

Thought this might be down to ignition but the plugs and leads are reasonably new, so i've replaced the dizzy and rotor but no luck!! :? Starting to think it's down to the fuelling side of things??

Anyone had anything similar or could shed any light on the subject? all help much appreciated :D

Could be the pump if original (worth changing anyway really) or the filter??

Don't rule out the ignition stuff, I have had no end of problems with crap quality leads, worth taking the plugs out and seeing if one cly looks different to the rest...

Wet weather probably not helping either which also point to an electrical issue

Yeah pump and filter are top of my list, is the pump expensive?

Was a bone dry day when i noticed it was also quite hot, so originally thought it may just have been warm boost. but it wasn't :(

Pump works out at nearly £150 i'm afraid as you need a new sender unit with it... (because your replacing a pierburg pump with VDO)

It's worth doing tho as it's one part that you know won't last forever and if it goes it will either melt your engine or, if your lucky just make you break break down :D

I just asked for a g60 pump.

Take in your vehicle number if you want to be sure so they can match it to the year of the car ,although as already said it won't be the original item anyway.

I think its the same one that you get in a vr6 but a dealer will have no problem matching it to your car.

Expensive though.

^^^^

Was wondering this myself and want to get the right one first off so will chat to the dealer, My 60 is a late model and has the later style bigger tank.

£130+vat sound about right?! is that everything that i need? Don't need to order the sender seperatly or anything?

Seemed to find it quite easily hope it ain't the wrong one!! :(

knock sensor,

plugs

leads

rotor arm

dizzy cap

1m long vac pipe

fuel filter,

Earths..

do the simple things first.

many people waste time looking for elaborate solutions to problem when in fact its usually just the simple things that go wrong just as they would on an old ford anglia or something of similar prehistorc origin. 8)

go back to basics and work from there.. :D yoda.gif

I had almost the exact same issue with mine not so long ago, began with a few flat spots/hesatation

and over time got worse and worse, turned out to be the leads breaking down so new set from GSF

and we where back on top :D

Thanks guys, will try the simple things first, just preparing the bank balance for a major blow!!

Dizzy and rotor were replaced last night, no difference.

Will try the knock sensor, fuel filter etc

Muchos gracias :thumbleft:

Will post results later

Right a wee update, i've replaced

Rotor arm and dizzy cap(new items)

Leads and plugs(spares i had lying around)

Fuel filter

And still no change!! :scratch:

Got a new fuel pump to go on just waiting on the sender!!

What i did notice when i removed the plugs was that the contact (bent bit of metal on end of plug) had worn down to just a piece of wire? does this mean there is something wrong with my ignition pre sparkplugs?

Now i'm thinking it isn't fuelling but ignition, could it possibly be the coil? Also still need to look into the knock sensor?!

Also getting the hesistation in most gears now!!

TIA :D

Do what i did,buy or borrow a cheap small fuel press gauge and rig the gauge's fuel pipe in place of the fuel after-run switch,now with a long bit of fuel hose either put the gauge under the windscreen wiper or feed the hose into the car,along with the connected fuel gauge.

Now turn on the ignition and watch what happens,i'll bet the gauge barely moves on the first attempt,try this a few times untill the press. reads around 3bar.

The car will start immidiatly,i've got the same problem on my turbo16v corrado which i fitted a Bosch mk.2 valver K-jet pump into a few years back,my pumps got a faulty non return valve but seeing as to remove it takes ages(re-fitting is worse thanks to those stupid prongs on the bottom of the fuel tank that never engauge with the sender housing 'coz one can't see the buggers through the petrol...) i just turn on the fuel pump and prime it using a jumper wire connected to the pump's harness connector under the boot floor,after a couple of seconds,instant fuel press.

I forgot to say that i moved the batt. to the boot so +ive. would be easyier to obtain in my case but i'm sure you'd be able to add another +ive. without too much trouble.

i noticed on my fuel rail there is a regulater, it has a vacuum pipe going to the inlet manifold bout 15cm long, mine was split and drawing air in, check all your lil vacuum tubes etc, before going onto major stuff mate.

VEEDUBBED-

Was it a hesitation you were getting?

I've got a new fuel pump and a sender so shouldn't be anything wrong with the fuel side of things?!

Just wondering if the hestitation has to do with the same thing that has melted the sparkplugs? possibly the coil?

Also need to try the knock sensor but at over £50 a pop from vw its a gamble!! anyone know if they are availible cheaper elsewhere?

i noticed on my fuel rail there is a regulater, it has a vacuum pipe going to the inlet manifold bout 15cm long, mine was split and drawing air in, check all your lil vacuum tubes etc, before going onto major stuff mate.

Cheers mate will check all the piping, what was the affect of the split pipe?!

What i did notice when i removed the plugs was that the contact (bent bit of metal on end of plug) had worn down to just a piece of wire? does this mean there is something wrong with my ignition pre sparkplugs?

Can you put a picture up? I've noticed that the stupid G60 leads won't fit over the bullet connector on the end of the plugs so you have to unscrew it. Think that's what you are looking at, the threaded end of the plug.

Can you put a picture up? I've noticed that the stupid G60 leads won't fit over the bullet connector on the end of the plugs so you have to unscrew it. Think that's what you are looking at, the threaded end of the plug.

Can put a picture up later but i know what you mean, it's the other end of the plug that i'm on about, it's as if the contact has been melted/worn away?! :(