Sign in to follow this  
Squire

Loud squeak from wheel

When i am reversing and steering either left or right i get a loud squeak from the front wheels. It is not constant, its every revolution. Its loud too, not a little squeak. I would almost liken it to running your finger nails down a black board but more metallic!

If i am reversing straight - no noise. Driving forward straight, and when turning - no noise. The brakes squeal nearly all the time when I apply them (which is also annoying), but Ive never had luck with squealing brakes on any of my cars in the past :o( including Jetta, Golf, and previous Corrado. ummm theres something in common there.....!

I have taken the front wheels off today to have a look and have also found that the brake disks are loose - They spin so that the wheel bolt sockets can be hidden. Im pretty sure my previous Corrado's brakes didnt do this. To be honest they almost look like the wrong disks as the securing hole (well i presume it is for a screw to secure the disk) doesn't line up with the hole. Just the caliper seems to be holding the disks in place (same both sides - near and off) with the wheel off. Of course the wheel bolts will do a job when the wheel is on.

So 2 questions:

1) The disks (I am told by the previous owner - i bought the car in April) were fitted recently. Do they sound ok? Are there new disks that do not need a securing screw and therefore the road wheel bolts are ok to secure them in place?

2) Any ideas on the what loud squeaking could be? Its embarrassing more than anything. I get some funny looks when parking at work each day! :o(

Cheers all for your advice in advance!!

Stephen

Update: I think the disks are the correct ones afterall. Had a better look now and the hole for the screw that fixes the disk in place does line up. The screw has sheared off so i cant get another one in (if i had one). Looks like i'll try an easy out and get a new screw from the stealers.

Still don't know why it squeaks going backwards though. CV boots look intact.... help! :(

Any garage will have these screws, I believe. Same thing happened to mine.

Sometimes screeching will occur due to a stone trapped between disc (inboard face) and metal shield/guard.

I have had this happen about 3 times in 35 years of driving.

Noise is very loud and as you say embarassing.

Often occurs after driving over freshly tarmacadamed road as gluey bitumen helps stone to stick. Tarry stones will be stuck in your wheel arches and all over your suspension/steering arms if you have driven over such a stretch of road.

Good luck with your investigation.

how worn are the discs? is there much rust around the edge of them?

my brakes squeak, but i'm replacing the discs and pads all round soon, so am just living with the squeak :lol:

you say when you bought the car it came with new discs, but are loose on the front - presume one side only.

Have you tried to spin each wheel in turn to replicate the sound (once jacked up)?

Yes often you can get a stone - I got one recently trapped between my new discs and the rear plate that protects the gubbins behind. However you state it only happens when turning.

Although the discs should be held inline with a screw (which yours could easily be drilled out with a much smaller metal drill bit), the wheel bolted on should keep the disc nice and tight. I'd still put a new screw in to see if it helps, because obviously a disc that is allowed to wobble at all with rub against all sorts of things, although the pads (if new) should keep it fairly inline (not the best idea though).

Therefore try jacking the car up and spinning the wheels (yes, wheel on), whilst on full lock and listen. If you hear somthing on one side (might need to spin the rears too), then get it onto stands (for safety) and do it again but under the car. The boot could still be split, its not always obvious.

Also presume wheels are not rubbing on anything. Most people run non-standard wheels and suspension; check theres no obvious fouling of wheel on arch or suspension.

HTH

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have had the car on axle stands and spun the wheels backwards on full lock. Also put the car in reverse and put steering on full lock either way. No sound! I havent had the car up since the replies though so will have another look at the CV boots hopefully in a couple of weeks (cant this weekend).

Both front disks (nearside and offside) spin as the screws are sheared off. Ill try drilling them out when i get her up on stands again.

When i plopped her back on the ground again after her first trip on the axle stands, there wasn't much sound when reversing and turning. The noise has gotten worse again now though (back to original squeak). The disks have a lot of meat on them and there isn't any corrosion. I'll take the pads off next time and rough them up a bit and see if that helps. Couldn't see any stones stuck but will have a closer look next time.

Just another note; the car has standard wheels and suspension (the subtle 4x4 look :lol: ) I'm planing on lowering it later in the summer after ive fixed a few minor things.

Actually thinking about it, car does pull to the left a bit - doubt that'd have anything to do with it though....?

Cheers guys

Both front disks (nearside and offside) spin as the screws are sheared off. Ill try drilling them out when i get her up on stands again.

Does this mean you're only driving with rear brakes? That's pretty dangerous mate.

It also may be the cause of the squeaking as they rub against the hubs.

The screws are only intended for locating the discs, the wheel bolts and weight of the wheel do the load bearing part of the job, dont worry about not having the screws in place..