Sign in to follow this  
littlebear

Changing a Thermostat

Changing my thermostat on the corrado has proven to be more of a chore then I expected. That thing is leaking like crazy. I changed the seal and RTVed the hell out of it and still it leaks anyone have any Ideas. I will post pictures and directions online as soon as I get her all buttoned up so if anyone else wants to take the challenge of thermostat changing they will at least have pictures to follow if they cant read LOL!!!

I would but mine is really in good shape no need for another one. I think what happen was I did not let the RTV cure long enough and I may have not tightened the bolts properly so the housing may have not seeded right. Tomorrow I will get it all taken care up. But I will keep you in mind if I get pissed and throw it across the driveway and I need to get a new one!!!

Bastid of a job,especially if working on your back on a jacked up car with stands..,you don't really need any kind of gasket goo,just remember to replace the plastic housing's O-ring and coat it in a little grease and make sure that the O-ring itself hasn't fallen off or been disloged while tying to relocate the housing in that god awful location.

1 other thing,make sure you use the correct length bolts on the aluminium PS pump housing that bolts to the engine block and don't over tighten them otherwise the longest bolt will just pinch the very edge of the plastic thermostat housing,dislodging the O-ring and cause a small leak,i learnt after stripping the fu$king thing down three times trying to see the cause of the mysterious leak...

You shouldn't need any sealant, if it gets into the sytem it could jam the stat - just make sure the mating face is clean and that you use a new (VAG) O ring...

The housing may be warped if not cracked, they do this because of heat over time, especially on the G60 and VR engines as they run hotter, I would advise always changing the plastic flanges for new when working on the cooling system.

Just changed the water transfer pipe at the weekend. That has to be the worst job ever....I've now got a small leak from the stat housing as it's warped from the heating & cooling it's received over the years. Gonna have to order me some new stat housing parts to stop the drip...

Finally got everything up and running no leaks YEAH!!!! I just don't understand one thing I put the 160 degree thermostat in and unless my gauge is off I am still running way over 160 degrees anyone have any ideas