Sign in to follow this  
StuartFZR400

TT holding thier value

NB: additional topic on page 2

Still looking for a sensible car. So what better than a TT, lol. Last year I looked at the old shape and saw a few gooduns at £16k with say 20k on the clock - a lot of car for the money I thought. Couldn't afford that so hoped that a year later prices would drop and would look for say a 40k mile car (fingers crossed). (with a view to getting another C once funds allow).

Firstly Parkers are suggesting at least £12k for an 03 with 40k; but can't find any with those miles - they're all 70,80,90k+ and asking £12 or much more. Madness !

Could be the point that these cars are not selling for the asking price - but who knows. The problems with market forces ...

:(

You don't want a MK1 TT anyway Stu :lol:

All 'popular' cars hold their value mate and Audi as a brand has never been so strong, so it keeps prices high.

I really like the TT's personally.. its just so annoying that they sold so many as fleet / rep cars, thus making them so incredibly common on the roads! :( I guess on the plus side, that will help bring down costs a bit of 2nd hand ones!

Jim, you'd think that'd make prices low, but the rep-space-mile ones are still at full asking price. Only now and then do you get one priced in accordance with Parkers - which I know some people disagree with and say you should pay what you're willing to; in which case Im not paying over 10k for somthing with over 50k miles - would rather find a well kept C.

Skinnyman, cannot find the one you mention on your link , but have seen a 3.2 advertised for silly money. Phoned it to get a fax buzz; so the faxed them and still get no reply. Probably sold if its such a bargain!!!

I dont know, just fed up of getting prodded by family, friends and now work about running a reliable car. To which I point out that mine has only broken down once due to a split radiator pipe - somthing which can happen to any old-ish car. Or new for that matter, as the Alfa GT man here will vouch for.

Looked at RX8's too, much better prices. Not sure how sensitive those engines are compared to old; they used to need perfect care and perfect oil etc ; then the rotor ends still wear out - big engine work no? And its a rear wheel... hmmm. Also peeked at the celica again; and again I concluded its plasticy, in addition to finding the seat was a killer due to the harsh stitching across your back. Then the revvy, noisy 1.8, VVTLi was just odd. The 6200 kick was erm, not that exciting.

TT seems a sensible, yet stylish idea. Then once funds allow, buy a C for weekends. Will need to keep a beedy eye out.

Im not sure how much the rotary engine has changed from its RX7 incarnation, but i've heard they needed engine rebuilds every 60k, which was expensive. It also meant that once a car reached 40k it was either sold off cheap, or the engine rebuild was done ad then they were sold off for more. Also, they're rev hungry and need to be driven hard to get the best out of them, no good for pottering around town in, sod all low down torque.

I had an RX8 for use when I was running the launch event out in Vienna for Mazda, it was one of the final development cars and it had been hammered, mileage was approaching 100,000km (just over 60k miles) and it used no more oil than a new one. The rotary is incredibly simple, only having three moving parts and as long as the owners have kept the oil level at a decent level (the $64000 question) then a high mileage RX8 would cause me no more concern than a similar mileage VR or G60.

Saw a segment of the used car roadshow and reckoned you could pay around £9000 for an early TT and keep it for a year for no depreciation.

mkaes you think if you cant find a low miler though.

He reckoned 9000 for a 1.8 I think

You all seem to be tip toeing round the fact that a TT is a girls car surely. :D

I had an RX8 for use when I was running the launch event out in Vienna for Mazda,

You remind me of that bloke out of Quantum leap. Ziggy I think his screen name was. Every week he'd say he was something new, like "Yeah when I was a navy seal..." "Yeah when I was the king of england..." "Yeah when I invented toothpaste...". and so on...

You all seem to be tip toeing round the fact that a TT is a girls car surely. :D

Yes... :)

drove an rx8 around thruxton 2 years back, didnt think much to i at all to be honest very rev happy but no real go, I remember thinking it wasnt a patch on my lysholmed golf. wouldnt recommend them at all

too true. But what other coups are there?

Looked into the 350z and S2000, and was put off by running costs. However prices have massively dropped and therefore money saved on buying might just pay for the running costs/insurance etc... will have to see.

Oppinions appreciated:

Seen a car for £2k under the Parkers Trade In Price. Is it a case of too good to be true?

Phoned him last Friday to ask about the £10k car - he was very dis-interested; I am sure he also stated he was the second owner, although the advert says 1 owner from new. Was surprised to see it still there Monday. Then Tuesday he put a second advert up, but this time the car had different alloys.

Do you recon HPI is sufficient to cover me if it turns out to be stolen at a much later date?

Do people really sell a car £2k or 3k under typical asking price of a popular car?

2nd Oppinion:

Anyone here refuse to buy a car simply due to the colour of the interior? I've got a mate who refuses a lovely cream leather; although I'd love that my self. Would you pass up a bargain down to colour?