Sign in to follow this  
foxhound81

Stereo keeps shorting out

Well,

When i first bought the car, the stereo didn't work. I checked the fuse box, and the fuse was fine for the stereo. So then I checked the fuse in the back of the actual radio, and waaala! Problem found. So i replaced the fuse, and clicked on the radio. It worked fine for about 2 min, then the darn fuse blew. I've gone through like 5 fuses, and they just keep blowing. What's my problem here? Please don't tell me there's a short.

The wires are fine, nothing is touching. i'm not exactly sure what the proper size fuse is for the actual radio unit. A 5amp (whatever it's measured in) was in the radio, so that's what i replaced it with. If I step it up to a 10amp, would that cause any serious problems? I know in many aftermarket stereo's a 10amp is the norm.

In all honesty the 5A fuse under normal radio play load conditions would be more than enough especially if the radio isn't cranked to peak volume (testing purposes).

You would have a lower amp fuse in the radio and higher in the fuse box and I wouldn't suggest going higher on the radio fuse than the fusebox protection rating.

If you had a wiring problem on your radio wires, your main fuse (fuse box) would have blown, and it's not... Thus meaning the fault is before the radio fuse, pointing towards the inside of the radio...

My best bet would be to make sure you have a propper earth on the radio (measure this). If that's fine I can't think of anything else than a component in the radio that gets hot and the thermal heat :evil: lets the current raise and the fuse blows...

(Sorry if the explanation is too simple but I am not sure about your knowledge and are only trying to help) :lol: