Sign in to follow this  
Danny B

can i rip off rubber roof strips ???

I know there has been a few threads on the matter, but i kinda just want to get a difinitive answer.....can i rip off the perished rubber seals on the roof strips of my C.....i dont really want to folk out for new ones and i think they will look just as good without them as they are well buggered.....I read somewhere that taking them off will not cause any problems,i.e. water leaks, but they must be there for something or is it just for looks.

alternatively has anyone taken the rubbers off and then replaced with black silicone sealent ???

No Problems with taking them off.. just a sharp blade and a steady hand.. or in my case a sligtly hung over hand a dull penknife.. but mine were so fooked it did the job..

You don't take them off completely though do you? Just trim the inside edges where they go manky....?

rite this is the bit that i got confused on the other threads, when i say take them off i mean the whole black rubber bits, not the black plastic strips........ someone else was talking about inside edges last time aswell ???.....

I just trimmed off the inside edge with a sharp knife. I then got some black roof and gutter sealant, and used that to fill in the gaps as they always fill up with water.

never seen the whole thing get taken of and just be left.

you normally either trim the rotting rubber bits and leave the hard plastic strips themselves, or take it all out and get the recess filled/smoothed and then painted over..

sorry when i say take the whole thing off i just mean the black rubber, which from what i can understand shouldnt do no harm?

i just ran a sharp knife along the edge of the plastic part to cut off all the split/perished rubber bits

nothing has leaked, was the 1st thing i did when got car