Sign in to follow this  
jslootweg

MK5 TDI Engine + Gearbox.

I know a lot of people don't think a diesel in a corrado is a good idea. But could it be done with a MK5 engine and gearbox?

I'm sure it could, I'm running a MK4 AJM engine with 6 speed box and it suits the Corrado really well, loads of torque!

The mkV engines are even more refined, quieter with better gearshifts, great conversion to do to a 15 year old Corrado with a tired engine

I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the position of the engine mounts and drive shaft lengths, I think these will probably be the main issues.

I suspect VR6 drivers (includes me) may soon be getting hammered taxwise and through penalties for having a huge, clumping carbon footprint :lol: .

With the extreme flooding event fresh in their mind, the UK population is bound to be more receptive to the climate change story than ever before, IMO. The government and its scientific advisers are bound to be mulling things over bigtime right now.

Possibly this conversion to a modern economical but torquey diesel engine powering our Cs will become a hot one in the next year or two?

Yeah - Mk4/5 mounts are completly different as the engine is suspended at each side with the pendulam mount running from the rear subframe to take the torque of the engine - these need welding in and the location of the pendulam is not ideal as the rear subframe is not bushed like the front crossmember of the Corrado which usually holds the engine... that said I don't get a huge amount of vibration thru to the cabin and engine movement is not excessive...

Driveshafts - mine are custon using MK4 inner CVs for the 6 spd box and normal Corrado ones for the outers...

They were supplied by DriveLink in Gateshead and cost £125 each plus the CV's