Sign in to follow this  
akacheesy

Corrado without the CAT?

Has anyone fitted a non CAT exhaust to their C? If so whats the performance like? Do you need to tweek anything or is it a straight swap?

I've fitted (well C+R fitted it!) a cat bypass to mine with a magnex stainless zorst, minor yet noticable improvement in performance plus it sounds great!!! :D

I got a vr6, ive taken my cat completely off and replaced it with a cat bypass there's no tweaking involved, think it was about £110 i'm sure its a supersprint one. im no expert so somebody else will probably be able to explain it better. i pretty sure it doesnt affect your lambda sensor?!?! (somebody tell me if i am talking b*llox pls) :D :D

i got a full 2.25 stainless without cat. 2 boxes towards the back from jap-innovations custom made for car.

The exhaust is the best fit ive ever had and doesn't catch on anything even fully loaded.

Performance wise not sure. think std G60 exhaust is ok anyway. id say a few horses maybe 10 with the 65mm. a bit free'er than the standard and quite a bit more noisy

I got a vr6, ive taken my cat completely off and replaced it with a cat bypass there's no tweaking involved, think it was about £110 i'm sure its a supersprint one. im no expert so somebody else will probably be able to explain it better. i pretty sure it doesnt affect your lambda sensor?!?! (somebody tell me if i am talking b*llox pls) :D :D

The lambda probe is in the front pipes before the cat, so binning the thing has no effect on fuelling. Cars built from 94 onwards must have a cat for the MOT.

Kev

The lambda probe on my 91 G60 was screwed into the cat,garage had to make a hole in the custom pipe and cut out the thread from the cat and weld over the hole on the new replacement pipe.

I thought it was after 1992 that cars needed cat's but I may be wrong?

the car needs to meet the required emmissons test and that changes at the 92 so k onwards all had carts to meet the emissions.

If i was a k plate id gut the cat maybe have it welded around a straight thru and i bet most will still pass emmisions.

G60's came with a Cat from 91-> from what i understand of it,

Supersprint do two de-cat pipes for them >91 and jan 92>

i've got a de-cat pipe with the probe in the decat pipe.

you only need a Cat by law in the UK from Aug 92> i think.

Nigel - you don't actually need a Cat by law. You need to pass the emissions tests, which granted, are pretty hard to pass without it.

I thought if the car had a Cat fitted at the factory, then it had to retain it? Seems to be conflicts of opinion on Cat laws.

harry1000 , the lambda shouldn't be in the cat itself, it should always be upstream of it.

Kev

picked the car up today after a service........the cat has gone, it rattling inside cos i can hear when i rev it a bit. So would this cause any probs to MPG or performance loss if i leave it as it is? or should i get rid of it? its a 94 model........but i think i can get it through MOT cos i know someone :lol: ..........what do u guys think.......or where can i pick up a cheap cat from or would the g60 cat be the same one?

any comments appreciated chaps!

picked the car up today after a service........the cat has gone, it rattling inside cos i can hear when i rev it a bit. So would this cause any probs to MPG or performance loss if i leave it as it is? or should i get rid of it? its a 94 model........but i think i can get it through MOT cos i know someone :lol: ..........what do u guys think.......or where can i pick up a cheap cat from or would the g60 cat be the same one?

any comments appreciated chaps!

Are you sure it's not the outer heatshield rattling?

It won't cause any MPG or performance problems.

Kev

I think the Law say if it was post Aug 92 then it must be fitted with a Cat regardless of emissions. the Cat removes hydrocarbons not the CO2 or whatever it is the measure on the MOT I think

yep, its not the heatshield, its the CAT unfortunately :( ........... does anyone know if the g60 CAT will work for a 2L 16v..........cheers......

thanks

The main thing i'd say that would effect performance if the cat has gone, is what happened to me once.

The cat was knackered and moved inside the casing causing a horrible rattle and restricted flow by the way it had moved, the car was flat as a fart seriously!

Changed the cat and that was that, revvy as ever, happy again but made a major difference in my situation.

Chris

The main thing i'd say that would effect performance if the cat has gone, is what happened to me once.

The cat was knackered and moved inside the casing causing a horrible rattle and restricted flow by the way it had moved, the car was flat as a fart seriously!

Changed the cat and that was that, revvy as ever, happy again but made a major difference in my situation.

Chris

That's quite true actually. If the catalyst detachs itself from the casing, then it will essentially impede flow. Good point.

Usually the catalyser has gaping holes in it if the engine has been running rich for an extended period of time.....which is where my AF meter comes in handy, LOL!

Kev

To improve your power, you can remove the cat from your system (this is for track purpose only and is not street legal - so I wont be doing it!). Exhaust companies can build you a by-pass section that is removable for your M.O.T.

This will cost you around £100 and should be worth it!

My corrado is a J reg - does it require a cat??

No.

There, a short and simple answer for you! :lol: