Sign in to follow this  
Jules

Jules' 16V Rado

After having my Corrado for 9 years, it is now due some TLC..... so thought now would be a good time to post some pics of the before and after.

The main things to be done...new engine, wheels, exhaust and a respray. There are a couple of small rust patches and a dent on the drivers door to be fixed but for a 16yr old car it is not too bad condition, but just not good enough.....

Here are some of the way it stood until just the other week when we started ripping it apart :(

CarApril2007015cut.jpg

CarApril2007005-1.jpg

CarApril20070161.jpg

Thanks guys, the pics do hide a lot because it's black,

Here are some pics of the bad bits....

0064.jpg

I knew the crossmember was rotting, but didnt realise just how badly! So a new one has been ordered up for next weekend. Managed to get a good price from my local VW dealer so happy with that.

0006-1.jpg

Worse than that though is what we found when the engine was removed yesterday. The subframe is also rotting away. Money. money, money! My husband checked it all and there are no holes in it and it still could last a year or so, but at this stage when the engine is out I would prefer to get a new one...well a second hand one if possible as the money pot is going down :(

New wheels now fitted with tyres, and I'm happy with the stretch, just a bit nervous about the lack of tyre lol.

Looking forward to getting them on the car though , but won't b for a few weeks yet..so we decided to put them on my hubby's mk 2 out of curiosity as I've never seen these on a mk2 before. They fitted ok but think the car sits a bit too high with the 17's

0009.jpg

00140.jpg

0021.jpg

0022.jpg

Those two bits ALWAYS rot on the Corrado.. they're a total PITA!

And great choice of wheels.. definately one of the all time great Corrado wheels :)

Those two bits ALWAYS rot on the Corrado.. they're a total PITA!

And great choice of wheels.. definately one of the all time great Corrado wheels :)

Yeah total PITA !!!! But from reading past threads on these 2 parts I shouldn't have been surprised to find mine rotting away, still a bummer tho. Took me a while to decide on the wheels, but happy I went for these ones :)

very nice and clean. not to ott!!

Thanks...there isnt going to be a drastic change after all the work is done...apart from the wheels, but it will a lot tidier and hopefully ready to take to some shows!

nice wheels, what size tyres did you fit? im sure they will look good against the black paintwork

ummmm i like the black ones lol, it looked good before but with those wheels on... very cool 8)

have you trial fitted them yet to see how badly they rub? guessing they're 17x8? glad to see and old rado being repaired not broken when the dreaded rust sets in :D is it a long term overhaul or will it make E38 in a month?

ummmm i like the black ones lol, it looked good before but with those wheels on... very cool 8)

have you trial fitted them yet to see how badly they rub? guessing they're 17x8? glad to see and old rado being repaired not broken when the dreaded rust sets in :D is it a long term overhaul or will it make E38 in a month?

yeah they are 8x17...going to try them out on the car before it goes for paint. Dont imagine any arch work needing down..maybe just need to lift the car a bit.

It should be finished in time for Edition, but it is always the MK2 we end up taking and mine is always left behind lol :( ...next year I will put my foot down tho lol

Very Nice Jules....

I dread to think what the subframe on my one is like after seeing yours :shock:

Hey Roy....yeah I'm struggling to find one second hand too. Might have a full car available this week for spares though so fingers crossed the subframe is ok.

Have you came across any more drivers door speakers cover lately? lol

They are like hens teeth.

Put somthing up in the wanted column?

you can expect to get about £300 for a breaker.

I got to keep the headlights,indicators and fogs.

How much are new subframes?

I got a price of £200 for a new one so I think I'm just gonna go with that. got a price of £94 for a second hand one, and not sure if that is about right or not. I would rather go a bit extra and get one new..... it looks like the plans to get the other Rado for spares isnt gonna happen now.

Sounds like your going to save more by buying the new one.

when you compare them side by side it will strike home the differance.

I'm just pleased you can still get them.

Thats the new subframe ordered with 2 new wishbones and ball joints too. Not sure how long it will take for it to arrive though so nothing much can be done until it gets here....in the engine area anyway.

The heater control is only working on 4, and if I am correct (from reading past threads) it is the diode thingy that needs replacing on the board....so I have already bought one and the solder iron has been looked out!

I will also have a go at the weekend on removing some roof dents with a dent removal kit I acquired. Fingers crossed it works.

And last on the list for now is the seized sunroof, although I dont think much can be done other than buy the sunroof repair kit. It tilts but does not slide...yes yet another common problem....argghhh ! They are all happening at the one time lol

Well not much has happened all week on the car as the subframe has been delayed but should arrive on Tuesday. Happy with the new cross member now fitted :D

0042.jpg

After waiting all week on the subframe... I was told that it wouldnt be available until the end of October...whaaattt?? Couldnt wait until then so managed to get one second hand, and it is in really good condition, so it has been treated and is now fitted.

The engine was dropped in yesterday with no issues, and is running great. Sounds very healthy and just needs a tune up.

Nothing fancy, and no shiney bits...just a standard 16v engine with the 50mm inlet manifold, rather than the previous 42mm which was on the old engine. Sounds much better :D No point cleaning it up until it comes back from the paint shop.

0001.jpg

Now it is ready to go for paint later this week.

Drivers door has a couple of bad dents thanks to some ignorant woman who drove into it in Asda car park and decided not to tell me

0007-1.jpg

0004-1.jpg

And the bit worrying me the most is the rear arch which is rusting quite badly. Check out the large bubble lol!

0006-3.jpg

About 6 years ago this bit was chapped out and fixed but that was when there was like a tiny bit there, which worries me a bit as it has came back through worse than ever. I will the paint guy decided on what to do with this as he will know best.

Wheels will be trial fitted this week anyway just incase there is any arch work needed, but I think it will be okay

Where are you taking it to get sprayed? It would be good to get a local recommendation as my Golf needs some paint. Spotted you today, good to see its all back together.

Davie @ Autoworx down the bottom of Wishaw is spraying it. He sprayed the mk2 as well.

You're more than welcome to have a look at mine once its finished so you can see his work for yourself

Thanks I'll take you up on that. To be honest from what I've seen of the mk2 he does an excellent job, its one of the best i've seen in the flesh/metal. Where abouts in Wishaw is he? I looked up phone book and google etc. but no joy.

I will pm you directions....my car is going in end of this week, so should get it back next week sometime :)