Sign in to follow this  
G60Dan

Strut Braces

try D&W they are german, thats the people that made mine, rember to order a RHD one for the front upper.

Awesome can supply D&W products. Anything in the catalogue. They usually have the braces in stock. I got my bottom one from them. They ordered it in but it only took a week.

Gavin

The D&W (front) brace can also be sourced from Eurotek (http://www.eurotek-online.com/home.html). They also sell the Stroeve rear strut brace too.

That said I think the best rear braces are the Trimsport (http://www.trimsport.co.uk/) or Dubweiser ones as they clamp around the turrents instead of fixing on top like the Stroeve ones do. Believe me this makes a bit difference to the practicality of the things!

I was interested to read about the lower front braces. Has anyone managed to fit one of these onto a VR6 and if so which brace did you use? The information I have at the moment is that the gearbox fouls some of the lower braces recommended by the tuning companies so I wanna find out if anyone has actually managed to fit one or not.

Cheers

John

John,

I dont know if this helps but i have a lower one on my 16v, it is a pretty tight fit where it passes under the gearbox. In fact i had it slightly "modified" with a big hammer to make a bit more clearance. I bought mine for about £30 from performance solutions of northampton.

Jim

I was interested to read about the lower front braces. Has anyone managed to fit one of these onto a VR6.

Cheers

John

No need for a lower brace. Just seam weld the subframe. Had mine done by Stealth as that's what they used to do to their VR6 Vento Cup racing cars.

Do you really need an upper brace is the question? And here is the answer:-

Tie a peice of cotton between the two damper threads and leave it slightly slack in the middle. Now take the car out and give it death round the corners, and I mean really give it some like you've never done before, within the limits of space and other road users being around.

When back home, check the cotton. If it's snapped, you need a brace, if not, you don't.

Kev

but the cotten wont measure the amount your chassie twists chances are that underload the cotten will go slack as the load bearing top mount will want to move to the center of the car. a struct brace helps transfer the load across the car.

but the cotten wont measure the amount your chassie twists chances are that underload the cotten will go slack as the load bearing top mount will want to move to the center of the car. a struct brace helps transfer the load across the car.

Sorry I meant tie the cotton around something fixed on the struts. Had a few too many bevvies..... :oops:

From my experience, braces don't do a lot on subframe equipped cars unless you're a regular track day attender. MK1 Golfs with open chassis legs benefit enormously from bracing, but MK2's onward don't really need a brace unless you're running a brute of an engine.

The Nova boys that fit Calibra turbo engines often find the struts rip away from the chassis due to the immense torque delivered.

Just my opinion.

Kev

***MOD EDIT*** Link Removed due to graphic content. Thats why i never posted the link. i remomend people try a search on google.de for D&W