Sign in to follow this  
wandee

'89 16V OEM suspension on a '94 VR6?

Looking to de-coilover to OEM my VR6 on the cheap but stealer prices are prohibitive to say the least. I have the chance of a set of shockers & springs from a 1989 'rado 16V in perfect working order....so will my VR be ok with these on?

Yep (even though I have a complete set of '94 VR6 suspension going spare).

The only difference between the 4 and 6 cylinder cars was that the VR6 had gas rear dampers.

The car will sit lower than stock, but this is because all the '94-on cars sat 15mm higher.

What coilovers are on it at present?

erm why do you wanna de coilover it?? if they're ok why dont you just wind it up to standard ride height?

Yep (even though I have a complete set of '94 VR6 suspension going spare).

The only difference between the 4 and 6 cylinder cars was that the VR6 had gas rear dampers.

The car will sit lower than stock, but this is because all the '94-on cars sat 15mm higher.

What coilovers are on it at present?

How much are you looking for your suspension bits?

They're AVO coilovers, and its the first car I've had with coilovers on. Dunno whether they are faulty or not but I'm not impressed. The ride is hard but at the same time bouncy! I know that sounds contradictory but thats the only way I can describe it!

erm why do you wanna de coilover it?? if they're ok why dont you just wind it up to standard ride height?

See my response above. I dont know if they are ok or not to be honest. Also dont you need the proper tool to adjust them cos I didnt get one with the car. Are AVO coilovers adjustable for height, spring rate and damping effect?

I dont think your Valver suspension is suitable for a VR, the rears will be ok but due to the difference in weight upfront the spring and damper rating is different for a VR as opposed to a Valver...

I dont think your Valver suspension is suitable for a VR, the rears will be ok but due to the difference in weight upfront the spring and damper rating is different for a VR as opposed to a Valver...

So from what I've described above, is that normal from a set of coilys?

No, it isn't...

The only difference is the rear shocks. Please check the part numbers if you don't believe me.

The Avo's combine the worst of all worlds: too much high frequency damping, with not enough low frequency damping(and overly hard springs).

Oh, and £50 collected for the standard '94 setup.

The Avo's combine the worst of all worlds: too much high frequency damping, with not enough low frequency damping(and overly hard springs).

Care to explain that a bit more? I'm not that clued up when it comes to the mechanics of suspension.

Oh, and £50 collected for the standard '94 setup.

Any chance you could post these mate?

Yes, but heavy / difficult and therefore not cheap.

If you could give me an idea of the price I'd be gratefull. Also, if I was to have the OEM dampers I'd still like to lower the car, probably around 40mm. Do you recommend a set of springs to go with the OEM dampers that will give a comfortable but decent handling ride? I dont like to feel every bump in the road with all the interior panels rattling but I dont want something that makes the car lurch around too much. I need a decent balance of the two....unless there is a way to achieve this with the AVOs?

If you want to lower it, I'd recommend getting shorter bumpstops, and Koni top-adjustables on top of lowered springs.

As to the damping: If it crashes over catseyes/potholes, but wallows over undulations, you have cr@p dampers.

On the springs: If it only seems to start working above 60 mph, the springs are too hard.