Sign in to follow this  
vince1816

g60 gearbox on 1.8 16v

i have been pondering about changing my gearbox on my 16v rado to a g60, and i was wondering if i would be gaining anything from it ie 1st gear accel or better top end

i put a 16v box on my g and it was horrible so expect the same the otherway round

I'm intrigued as to what made you try this?

The two engines make their power at completely different sections of the rev range, and their gearboxes are adjusted to suit!

i have been pondering about changing my gearbox on my 16v rado to a g60, and i was wondering if i would be gaining anything from it ie 1st gear accel or better top end

The 1.8 16v gearbox has the shortest ratios of all the 02A boxes, with the possible exception of a very short 1st it's about the best for the 1.8 engine.

a sixth cog for cruising would be nice :)

Speaking of G60 gearboxes, I was talking to Daz at G-Werks on Monday about upgrades for mine. The standard G60 1st gear is almost useless as it is just too short on that box (possibly designed for the caravan crew? or for pulling tree stumps?), and 2nd isn't much better :?

5th is also a bit low-ratio for motorway cruising, so he recommended a combined rebuild using VR6 1st, 2nd and final drive cogs, and a refurb while the box is in bits. Apparently there's a couple of old boys at Silverstone who will do that for a very decent price, and if you let them keep the leftovers it saves you on courier costs as you only pay for one box on the way back :wink:

That would give much better feel through the low gears on a torquey engine, you could get 65mph in second (as opposed to ~55mph) and motorway cruising would drop from 3500rpm to 2500rpm, so better economy (but still on boost in a G60 :D ).

However, for a 16V engine perhaps the relatively short 1st and 2nd would be good, to get on-cam sooner?

That's my tuppence.

G60 5th is pretty long imho; 25mph/1000rpm is longer than most other cars i've driven. I guess you could make it longer, just remember to shift to 4th to get by someone!

Good point boost monkey, and the G60 is at peak torque at 100mph in 5th (theoretically :wink: ) Just nudge that accelerator a little bit more :D

My Audi 80 (RIP) did 20mph/1000rpm in 5th - didn't want to exceed 80mph for long periods simply due to the noise! Would be interesting to have an even longer 5th gear though, almost like gears 1, 2, 3, 4 and Cruise 8)

My Audi 80 (RIP) did 20mph/1000rpm in 5th - didn't want to exceed 80mph for long periods simply due to the noise! Would be interesting to have an even longer 5th gear though, almost like gears 1, 2, 3, 4 and Cruise 8)

Yeah, 20mph/1000rpm is standard fare for final drives from what i've had.

The jetta has a long box in too, denoted 4 + E (Economy...or ExTrEmE Top End Ownership as I call it) where 4th is 20mph/1000rpm and 5th is 25mph/1000rpm.

Maybe it's a trait of the 8v gearboxes: being longer geared as the engines generate more torque / power lower down?

Back on topic, you would get a better top end from the g60 box on a valver as 5th is longer, so you'd do 100mph at 4000rpm etc :D

hope this helps,

The 1.8 16v gearbox has the shortest ratios of all the 02A boxes, with the possible exception of a very short 1st it's about the best for the 1.8 engine.

a sixth cog for cruising would be nice :)

Is that even possible? Would you need to squeeze all of the cogs closer to each other? :wink: :lol:

^lol

you'd put them in a 6spd housing!

means you might lose a big ot turning lock-to-lock though due to the longer gearbox casing.

I think.

i only used the 16v box as i didnt have a g box, it span the wheels everywhere and was a mare to drive