Sign in to follow this  
OSV

Forgive the Passat Handle Question (Updated with pic.)

Aplogies in advance as I know there has been much talk on the subject, however I would like clarification on a couple of points.

Firstly is there consensus that the rear passat handles will fit without modification if you also use the lock mechanism from the passat ?

Where the passat mechanisms ever available without the child locks ? if not is this feature easily removed ?

Is it worth buying these parts new, if so which suppliers offer the best prices or is it VAG dealers only? Prices ?

Lastly I belive that the electric window closure and central locking are wired into the original locks. Does this need to be modified, what needs to be done to ensure the systems still function and the doors lock remotely ?

Can't say about the locks for sure but the central locking and total closure will still work, as the alarm will be connected inside the car.

Gavin

Interesting question concerning the childlocks.

Just got me wondering if you can use the Passat rear handles along with the front lock mechanism. That way eliminating the childlocks?

Childlocks can be disabled by removing the little lever on the lock mechanism.

GPC or EPC would probably be the best place to buy new handles/mechs.

The original handles have wiring going directly to them.

This is used to enable the central locking/total closure to operate via the lock barrel.

Since you're removing the lock barrel, you no longer need this wiring.

Central locking should work via your remote alarm.

Total closure can be enabled by lenghtening the locking pulse from your alarm.

Make sure your key fits the boot lock, otherwise you'll be locked out completely if your battery goes flat or you lose your alarm fob. :oops:

No, the front passat locks are 837, same as Corrado, the rears are the 839 part number (the number in the middle needs to match the handles you use) - get the matching numbers and they will bolt on in minutes!

You will need to remote locking working from your alarm and then you will need to disconect the switch wiring from the handles - as you take the handles off they may just pull off (or fall off) - i would insulate each of the 3 wires and put them back into the door, that way you do not even need to take the door cards off!

The Handles are only £17 new, not sure about the locks... best to just get them from a scrap yard, I got some chromed locks at Inters!

The childlocks don't really matter to be honest, its just a small lever at the bottom and you can drill them out if you wish.

Door Handles (Corrado) - 536 837 205/206A

Mechs Corrado - 536 837 015/016

Door Handles (Passat) - 357 839 205/206

Passat Mechs - 8A0 839 015/016A

These are the numbers I used (right/left) - the first 3 numbers are just from the cars they came off, my chromed mechs were obviously from a different chassis hence the 8AO.

paid £25 for the rear passet mechs from the stealers.

2 handles and 2 mechs came in at £83

worth every penny. if you break a handle now only £17 instead of £82 for a corrado one

worth every penny. if you break a handle now only £17 instead of £82 for a corrado one

Do you get it chromed for the £82?!

You can get the handle's for nearer £50 though.

Do you get it chromed for the £82?!

You can get the handle's for nearer £50 though.

for non genuine and a passat one for £11 if not vw. so point still the same

Managed to pick up the rear door handles, pins and mechanisms for a tenner all in at the breakers. The child lock mech. was easily removed with a hacksaw and grinder. Bargain :D

Thanks to all the people who gave the good advice. :D

I now have the handles and mechs fitted but couldn't resist chroming the mechs first. 8)

I'll keep the second hand handles as spares, i've bought some new ones which are being colour coded at this time.

The wiring is a bit scary at first I guess there is a plug in further along inside the door, but seeing as i'm happy to stay delocked whatever the snips and insulating tape sufficed.