Sign in to follow this  
swanman

Engine Oil temp way too high

I have recently flushed the radiator on my VR6. The coolant temp appears to be fine, but the engine oil temp soars above 140 oC according to the MFA. Then bounces up and down in the low to mid 100's. DO I have an air lock or something, how can the coolant temp be OK but the engine oil temp so high? If I have an air lock how do I get rid of it? :?

i had the same probs mate, had it serviced and the guy checked it out and said the car is fine, coolant is fine.........but the oil temp sensor might be dodgy......... mine read 146c........ let me know what you find out......

To get rid of an air lock, drain the coolant, and refill via the radiator top hose, not the expansion tank. Filling via the latter introduces air, whereas filling from the top hose forces air out from the bottom of the block up, and out through the expansion tank.

Keep filling until you see liquid appear in the tank, replace hose. Top up to min. Take for a 20 min drive. Top up in the morning. Air lock, hopefully, gone.

Kev

Well, well. Kev was absolutely right. :D I drained the whole system again. Guess what? Part of is was coolant green part of it was brown!! Surely an indication of an air lock, preventing the coolant circulating. Filled up the coolant through the top rad hose. Note INTO the hose itself. Got clear liquid in the expansion tank. Went for a drive: engine oil temp did not go above 104 oC. Job done.

Cheers Kev :p

Well, well. Kev was absolutely right. :D I drained the whole system again. Guess what? Part of is was coolant green part of it was brown!! Surely an indication of an air lock, preventing the coolant circulating. Filled up the coolant through the top rad hose. Note INTO the hose itself. Got clear liquid in the expansion tank. Went for a drive: engine oil temp did not go above 104 oC. Job done.

Cheers Kev :p

Excellent, glad it's sorted. Keep that method under your hat my man and anybody with a similar problem in your neck of the woods will think you're genius :wink:

Kev

Yes New Zealand!!

Though it is not a Corrado but a Golf VR6 that I have, same engine I guess.

Thanks everyone. I'll be in touch shortly with the next problem soon I'm sure. :D