Sign in to follow this  
g164rge

Charger Coating

Hi,

Looking at rebuilding my charger and seen the kit from Eazygeezer. Are these kits good enough of should i get elsewhere?

I'm able to get my charger acid dipped to get it all cleaned up, what kind of coating would be best to put on it after this?

What kind of metal is the charger also made from?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

i really wouldnt get the charger acid dipped, or any aluminiun/magnesium parts for that matter, it will either dissolve it completely or cause serious surface pitting, you would be much better off using engine degreaser or even brake cleaner to clean it out, even a mild acid will damage the internal surfaces and the displacer.

Thanks Coolrado, wasnt sure what it was made with you see, thought could acid dip it.

Ah well, thats that idea out the window :lol:

If you just want to remove the paint off the outside of it, just use some nitromorse paint stripper, or some coarse wire wool, it usually comes off pretty quickly and easily, i have seen chargers that have been powder coated, but when i asked my local powder coaters they said they would rather not attempt it as they didnt want to risk damaging the casing, i plan to bead blast mine and get it sprayed in 2k, as with the boost return removed it never gets any more than luke warm, before it was removed the charger would be too hot to hold your hand on after a thrashing.