Sign in to follow this  
scruffydubbers

G60 Turbo/Supercharged

Hello,

is there anybody on here with a G60 using a turbo instead of the G-ladder,

or is there anybody using the bahnbrenner superchager on a g60.

i'd be interested in hearing about them.

i know of one with a bahnbrenner charger on a 16v sounds wild.

just interested to see what power effects these have on the 8v g60

thanks

I ideally would like a 20v engine with a lysholm twin screw charger on it (which i believe is the same as the brenner charger)

Anyway that would be my ideal engine setup, maybe one day

PhatVR6 (on this forum) built the G60 turbo Golf Mk2 which was on the Golf mag cover last month, with his mate the owner of the car. Uses a x-flow head, and once mapped should be good for 280+ bhp!! 8)

Yes, i have done away with the Charger and fitted a Garrett T28 turbo! What sort of information are you after? :lol:

I live about 45 min away from bbm and they have a few cars with the screw charger on them.. It sounds awesome. They got a bad ass one inside the shop thats all custome done with a bigger 20v screw charger and a huge liquid intercooler its nice

PhatVR6 (on this forum) built the G60 turbo Golf Mk2 which was on the Golf mag cover last month, with his mate the owner of the car. Uses a x-flow head, and once mapped should be good for 280+ bhp!! 8)

he knows, he bought the G-laderless G60 lump off me! :D

i have decided to go with a turbo set-up, and i ve ordered a variation of the t3 turbo, i am aiming to have just over the 200bhp mark,

does anyone know what a save(ish) maximum boost i can run before i start running into problems, using a internally standard g60 engine?

when its up and running i ll be getting it set-up and the fueling increased hopefully.

mars- what sort of power are you running, and what sort of set-up have you got? (boost pressure, any other mods etc)

thanks for any help

it depends on cooling too.

A turbo will be hotter than the G lader so a front mount maybe better.

get a good front engine mount.

Id say just over a bar too. turbos usually generate more power than the G at any given boost level.

i have decided to go with a turbo set-up, and i ve ordered a variation of the t3 turbo, i am aiming to have just over the 200bhp mark,

does anyone know what a save(ish) maximum boost i can run before i start running into problems, using a internally standard g60 engine?

when its up and running i ll be getting it set-up and the fueling increased hopefully.

mars- what sort of power are you running, and what sort of set-up have you got? (boost pressure, any other mods etc)

thanks for any help

Around 18psi I think before reliability suffers

Sandy G60

thanks

do you think i should be able to reach my target of just over 200bhp quite easily?

running a standard engine about 1.2 bar.

once i ve got it up and running i ll see how it performs and then look into other mods.

not sure what intercooler i ll be using yet, i dont want to use one to small reducing the power but not really sure how big, is it possible to go to big, giving bad results?

i am using a vr6 rad and goin to get an cool running thermostat and fan switch,

would a oil cooler be a good idea?

An oil cooler on the G60 bottom end is ALWAYS a good idea... I'd have thought with a turbo it's probably essential! 8)

I'd hazard a guess that 200BHP shouldn't be too hard to get to with the standard PG block/internals and a reasonable turbo.

Good luck!

18psi of flow from a supercharger won't be as much flow (CFM) as 18psi from a turbo. don't ask me to explain it.. but a turbo puts more sheer airflow through the engine at any given pressure than a supercharger does.

so if these guys are saying 18psi should be fine, and they have a supercharger, it doesn't necessarily mean a turbo at 18psi won't blow shit up. something to keep in mind. good luck with the car.

and if you go with a cooler thermo... it *could* be a bad thing. you want your oil temps right around 100..if you're below that its not optimal. something else to keep in mind! :lol: you can always flog it up to higher temps tho! :lol: :twisted:

Definitely. My mate has an oil cooler on his, and the oil still gets up to 115+.

Does he still run the heat exchanger?

My Golf runs at less than 80 most of the time. Going up to 90 on the sustained high speed motorway run. Trackdays get it to 120+ but it drops quickly on the cool down lap. 2 miles gets it under 100 easy.

Oil cooler=essential fitment on any G60/hybrid

What management will you use? You will need a remap for sure. SNS do G60/turbo chips in the States, maybe Bilal can sort you one over here?? I know that Vince at Scole Engineering in Diss has done several turbo conversions. He knows plenty about them. Not saying no one else does though.

Gavin

i am gonna be using the g60 management,

i have got a chip coming design to be used with the turbo, but what i ll prob end up doing is run it on low boost till everything is runin nice then book it in somewhere for a re-map and turn the boost up, perhaps jabba,

cause i dont want to end up melting anything.

i ve also seen some heat sheild jackets which sit over the turbo, which i am goin to look into to try and keep the inlet manifold cooler

did nt realise 100 was the best temp (thanks), i ll have to play around with the cooling, and try to get it to sit around the 100 mark,

quite away off this though still a lot more bits i need to get hold of.

still not sure about what intercooler to use

thanks for the help so far, got a few more things to keep in mind

just thought I'd reply to this cos I have a mate who has binned his G40 g ladar for a turbo, yeah I know it's adifferent and smaller engine (you'd be suprised at how much they put up with though) and he hit so problems.

The G40 can get upto 1.1 bar around 15-16psi at tops and the engines are fin with this but this turbo polo ran at just over that and blew a piston. But I must add running at 0.8 bar it put in 185BHP which is pretty high for just a turbo instead of a g-ladar and a few bits here and there but nothing done to the engine. It's getting re-built properly now and may be running over a bar soon so should be interesting but I reckon you'd best be carefull cos turbo's run so hot etc etc there are so many factors. Mind you the superchargers take up a bit of BHP just to turn them just imagine the power it takes to compress the air at 6000 revs!!. Take the big drag cars for example they take 1500BHP to turn the superchargers which is mental but then they put out 1000's of HP.

Oh and Myself and my mate with the turbo had a little sprint test my G40 against his T40 and I got away of the line quicker but once that turbo had spun up I had no chance!!!! turbo's are the way for power but man they can be expensive.

hello.

i am a big fan of the g40, i am on the g40 yahoo group, i was listening to the progress of the turbo one i think you are talking about, but not heard about it for a while.

did nt realise it was putting out that much power,

just been lookin at jamie fagans mk1 g60 turbo in a pvw shoot out, 240bhp and 270 lbs torque :o

did nt realise that it took so much power to turn the chargers.

i have a friend with a g40 and the power is istant so i can see why yours pulled away off the start

hello yeah it was on the road for aboutu 4 months in this period he melted a piston and had it tuned and other things for testing reason's, it's now off the road and has been for about a year and ahalf as he is now building the engine properly, last time I spoke to him he was just putting his custom built gear box back together as he is after some mad ratio's for 1-4th gears then a long 5th. The engine is back in the car I think but there is much to do. Yeah it was a suprise that it created that much power with little work but then you can really feel it kick in it's mad. Yeah once you've been in a G40 you can see why they take off in no time great fun little cars.