Sign in to follow this  
ValRado

Model Year Differences? & Best upgrades?

Hi, sorry if this has been done to death but what are the model year differences between cars? I have an early 1.8 16v and would like to know the differences between them (bar the obvious engine sizes) and what are the best upgrades for the car?

Thanks!

Paul

1.8's have slightly narrower front wings to the 2.0's and VR6's, and 1'8's have a dip in the middle of the bonnet as opposed to the bulge on the other 2 models. Like this ----_____---- 1800cc _____--------_____ (2.0)

Not sure about the wings on the G60. I think they use the same as the 1.8, and bonnet too.

Tuning :-

1.8.....exhaust, performance panel filter and drilled airbox and/or removing the snorkel that restricts the airflow into the airbox. These mods are common. Without spending mega bucks on lightening and balancing this and that, and porting and polishing the head etc, you will not succeed in making a 1.8 a fast car because if the truth be told, they just aint that quick.

2.0....change the exhaust cam for the one from the 1.8 kr engine. This alone is said to hike power by as much as 15 bhp. Then again, exhaust, airbox/filter mods etc.

G60.....much easier. Smaller pulley on the charger, chipping, filters, exhaust. Theres loads of info on G60 tuning on here, some recently too. But tuning a G is going to be easier, cheaper and with bigger results than a N/A car.

VR6.......leave it alone, they're fast enough as is.

As said above, the KR lump is not a fast engine, and without the injection of a turbo into the mix you'll struggle to see anything useful.

Although i do believe there is a user based in the US that has obtained 200BHP from a 2.0L NA lump, whether this is from the 9a in the rado or the ABF from the golf i could not say.

The earlier models are basic in comparison to the later models. Having said that i prefer this, my early valver is old, and it knows this. The interior is fairly basic and square, unlike some of the later VR models that boast leather and such.

Oh, and if you can get a non sunroof model, buy it! The sunroofs are a complete pain in the bottom

The KR isn't that bad, and the late interior only has slightly different switchgear, don't see why people are so excited about the later spec interiors to be honest, I don't think there is a significant improvement over the early stuff....

The exteriors changed shape around 1992, there are some 1.8s with late exteriors, and some g60s, none of these came with late interiors though, there are very few vr6s and 2.0 16vs with early interiors.

Some of the late low spec cars also had normal bench seats in the rear, rather than the 2 bucket type affairs.

The earlier models are basic in comparison to the later models.

???

Most early cars came with the same spec as the late ones, electric windows, mirrors, sunroof, "rare Karman interior" etc. My late VR has nothing the early valver doesn't

Thanks guys, I'll look into the link!

Is it worth sourcing a 2 litre engine to fit? Worth the hassle?

Thanks

Paul

Nope no point in swapping the engine as a whole, due to the whole Cat' thing the 9a's no faster than the KR!

If your after serious power gains with a valver you need to start with some serious money

The earlier models are basic in comparison to the later models.

???

Most early cars came with the same spec as the late ones, electric windows, mirrors, sunroof, "rare Karman interior" etc. My late VR has nothing the early valver doesn't

True, i was thinking more in comparison to the storm and ever so rare campaign models.

To be honest i prefer my early valver over the later ones. I drove a few 2.0's when i was looking for mine, and i just preferred the feel of the older models, not sure why.

Also dont be put off by the poor 0-60 times of the G60 in comparison to the valvers, i think they're roughly the same. Its due to the fact that the G's have to change to 3rd to reach 60, whereas the valvers dont.

Is it worth sourcing a 2 litre engine to fit? Worth the hassle?

Have a look at the engine section on the clubgti forum. There's loads of info on 16v options.

Sorry to DP, but I'm going to get it resprayed (the standard paint really lets the car down) so would it be worth sourcing a vr6 bonnet and maybe wings befroehand and getting these painted? Is this a common bodywork improvement?

Thanks

Paul

Yeah. It will make the front end look a bit fatter. Just be mindful come sale time, you might get one of those annoying no it alls who will take great glee in exclaiming how non-original your ride is due to late spec parts. And no doubt waffle on to say it has been front ended.

Yeah. It will make the front end look a bit fatter. Just be mindful come sale time, you might get one of those annoying no it alls who will take great glee in exclaiming how non-original your ride is due to late spec parts. And no doubt waffle on to say it has been front ended.

Very true! my G60 has a late spec body and you would not beleive how many people try to tell me my car must of been in a major front end accident as it doesnt have an early bonnet & wings!

Very true! my G60 has a late spec body and you would not beleive how many people try to tell me my car must of been in a major front end accident as it doesnt have an early bonnet & wings!

I would dearly love to do this to my car, but for the above reason alone i'm going to leave well alone.

IMHO, having owned rados with both early and late spec bonnets/wings, the early bonnet is much better looking than the late! Late one makes the front look a bit frumpy and fat, so if I were you I'd stick with the early stuff! *expecting a flaming now. :lol:

IMHO, having owned rados with both early and late spec bonnets/wings, the early bonnet is much better looking than the late! Late one makes the front look a bit frumpy and fat, so if I were you I'd stick with the early stuff! *expecting a flaming now. :lol:

I agree too an extent... Better visibility when parking too.

Ever since i took my then newly acquired Rado round to a fellow car lover to show him and he said "Its a bit thin aint it"? I have always wanted to widen the front up a tad :(

S'pose i shouldn't have expected anything else as he drives a late spec ZM Coupe