Sign in to follow this  
Lorns

Engine cutting out - then not starting

Hello,

I really hope I have posted in the right section, if not i do apologise!

I bought a H reg Corrado 16v on Saturday. The previous owner told me it had been sitting for a while (a couple of months but I am not sure how long) and it resulted in the battery being completely dead. We had to jump start it to get it home but it drove 150miles from Hull back to Northampton with no problems.

We took the car to Halfrauds and they tested the battery and it came up on the reader 'unservicable' so we bought a brand new battery for it and it was fine.

Last night it cut out a few times... and it seems to be when I park/pull up. I pulled into a petrol station and it just died, then later on i was gettin out of a space in a car park, pulled out, went to reverse and it cut out then last night (highly embarassing) I was half way into a space outside my house and it died (in reverse) and wouldnt start again at all. When I tried starting it all the dash lights came on, the fuel pump made its noise but there was nothing at all from the engine - as if the battery is dead (but it's not cos it's brand new!). It idles at 10k but sometimes goes between 15-20k when first started bgut soon dies down.

The car started fine this morning and got me to work without problems.. but I am worried that this 'cutting out' is gonna happen more often than not.

The car has done 118k, all electrics work and it is a very tidy example. It is due a service as it's last service was June 06....

Does anyone have any ideas as to what it may be?

If anyone has a clue your advice and ideas will be very much appreciated :)

Thanks

Lorns..

Hi Lorns,

Im not a corrado expert (yet :wink:) but i had the same problem with my digi 8v.

I gave the ISV a clean and reset the ignition timing and the problem disapeared. it was cheap and simple to do and it ran like a beauty!

I would start by checkin over the ignition system!

Ok thank you!

I have my mate coming round tonight (who also bought a corrado on saturday) and hes gonna have a look after work today, I dont think its anything major but i am gettin som serious muscles from pushing that thing!

Could well be the infamous ignition switch problem....have a look at a few of the past threads about that on here.

Thanks,

took it home just a minute ago and again, stuck it in reverse to park up got half way in and it died (and no, its not me stalling it) but lukcily started again this time..

Also - my car is the same colour as that one ^^ up there on the motorway, can you tell me what colour that is as I just keep having to call it dark mauvepurpleyblack?

Thanks again!

There is no splutter, it just silently cuts out..and it did this last night and didnt come back on so I had to push the car on me own into the bl**dy space!

It doesnt sound like its stalling, just goes off :(

Also - my car is the same colour as that one ^^ up there on the motorway, can you tell me what colour that is as I just keep having to call it dark mauvepurpleyblack?

Have a look in the boot and there should be a stick with a paint code on it, type it in to google or put it on here and youll know the colour.

The one on the tope looks like blackberry to me but i think yours is too early for that, it may be a bordeaux colour...

are they on coil pack? or a coil? next time it does it (if your not holding up a junction etc) take the plug lead of and spin it over with a seperat spark plug and see if you are getting a spark? could possibly be a faulty coil?

i made a right dudey tool up for this job,

it consits of a sparkplug, with a crocadile clip, the threaded part of the plug i used a jubilee clip and tightend it on to the metal crocidile clip, then this allows you to plug the lead on to the plug and clip the plug to earth using the crocidile clip and crank it over on your own with your head pearing round the bonnet to see if it sparks.

might not be a coil pack, just thought id put a suggestion in to try and help you out matey.

simon

Thanks for you help kind sirs..

My mate didnt come round last night as he couldnt make it. He's going to have a ganders tonight, lukcily its not cutting out all the time it seems to be when I'm parking, otherwise its fine :?

I have just found the paint code and its LC3U - I just put it into google and it linked me to club gti forum and someone has put: pigbladder -LC3U dark burgundy pearl..also known as aubergine(1991 g60) - is that right?

I have just found the paint code and its LC3U - I just put it into google and it linked me to club gti forum and someone has put: pigbladder -LC3U dark burgundy pearl..also known as aubergine(1991 g60) - is that right?

Yeah - popular Corrado colour and also used on the Edition One Golfs (that Steve, Mr Pigbladder, has)

Just to let you all know my mate came and looked at my car and he adjusted the throttle cable (cos its stretched and I only seemed to have half a throttle!) that makes the car go a lot better (I was wondering why it seemed really slow) and he said that I should give it a good service and then get it set up (timing?) and it should run fine..

It is running alot better now anyway :)

Thanks alot for all of your help...no doubt I'll be back for more!