Sign in to follow this  
daniboy1_2_3

Hello everyone, first things first i dont own a corrado but would very much like to put a G60 engine into my mk1 golf gti, shocking i know lol. I thought this would be a good place to seek advice on the availability of the G60 engines, what sort of price i can expect to pay for one etc. I dont know much about the Corrado except that they look good and the G60 engine is supposed to be sweet as a nut and very tuneable (am i right so far?). My golf has had some poor workmanship done to it recently (bodywork) which will have to be redone so its going into another garage for a professional restoration. The down side to this is the 6 months waiting list before the garage can even begin to work on my car. On the upside, this will give me time to assemble all the parts i need for the conversion and to save up to get the job done properly. If anyone can offer any help on this topic it would be greatly appreciated, as a mk1 golf fan i can appreciate why you guys like the corrado and hope that this feeling is reciprocated and that you do not feel like i`m some sort of cannibal lol. Look forward to hearing back from you, thanks.

welcome, plenty of G60 experts on here.

There's a fair few options for you as the mk1 will take most of the 1.8-2L VW blocks, so you could go 2L 8v, G60, 1.8/2L16v or 1.8T. all have their plus and minus points.

For me the revvy 1.8 16v is a great engine for the mk1, if you go for a very torquey engine like the forced induction ones you'll be spinning the front wheels in every gear, which doesn't always make for the nicest drive :)

Hey buddy, welcome to the forum. I have a rado G60 and it's not even a particularly mint example and I love the engine! Love mk1s too. Would be great to see some pics mate. I've never tuned one but some people do get some silly figures out of them.

Hi there, thanks for the replies. At the moment my mk1 is in a bit of a sorry state, sat in my garage at home stripped and sporting some bad workmanship from the previous garage it was in. I have booked it into a top bodyshop but i have to wait 6 months before they can even begin work on it! In the meantime the plan is to assemble all the parts im going to need for an engine upgrade, incuding all running gear. I already have an FK konigsport suspension kit which should be up to the job. I really fancy the idea of a supercharged G60 motor, the only things that would put me off are the reliability, availablity of parts, and how useable the power is going to be sat in a mk1 golf? If anyone can comment on any of these things i would appreciate it. Does anyone know or own a mk1 G60? What would be the main drawbacks of such a conversion? I appreciate that the engines are getting on a bit (although ive no idea when they stopped producing them) and i dont have a clue if there are many variants of this engine? Anyway thats too many questions already, any advice appreciated.