Sign in to follow this  
devnull

Flywheel bolts

I apologize if this has been answered / asked before. My searches yielded nothing obvious. My situation is this: I recently removed the transmission on my '92 Corrado to replace the pressure plate / throwout bearing / pilot bearing / a few leaky seals in that general vicinty / etc;

However, I've gotten to the point where I need to remove the flywheel and I'm not sure exactly what size those heads are (10mm 12 point bits maybe?) nor where on EARTH (or at least in my local area in California) I can find someone who sells such a set of bits. Has anyone got any experience with this particular problem and/or can reccommend where I might be able to find the appropriate bits for it?

Thanks in advance!

:o

Steve is correct 9mm 12 point. If all else fails Snap On will have one. You can probably order it online.

Gavin

Yup 12 point 9mm took my flywheel bolts off last weekend as for the sockets draper sell a set of the 8mm-19 mm for £8 alot of companies are moving over to the 12 points sockets I wish the bolt manufacturers would move over to making more 12 point bolts as they have so much more grip than the hex bolts do

I checked at Sears just yesterday and absolutely no luck :(

I'll check WalMart and Target, otherwise I'll find them online and order them. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't out of my mind before I went on a wild goose chase since I haven't yet found anyone who carries 12 point bit sets... Thanks a lot!

:D

doesnt pep boys sell sockets ? sears can usually order stuff from another store if that helps...just looked in the sear catalog,they have several

9mm 12 point 3/8 dr...44301 $2.99

1/2 drive 44231 $3.99

Err, they're 12point sockets themselves... Needs a 12 point bit to fit in there, like the axle flanges only 1mm bigger. :?

devnull, Do you mean you need spline bits like the headbolts and the bolts that attatch the inner cv's to the gearbox??? I took my flywheel off last weekend and the bolts that were attatching it were 12 point sockets like all the other guys have already pointed out?? I am slightly confused now as they shouldn't be splines on the flywheel they should be 9mm 12 point sockets as listed on etka!

No, the bolts that hold the halves of the flanges together (coupler might be a better description?)

v--wheel

| |====() [ transmission ]

axle--^ ^--flange

(excuse my ASCII art :))

There are 8 or 10 of them, I forget now, but they're what hold the flywheel on in the center of it. The bolt heads are 12 point sockets themselves, I have an 8mm bit that I got at the local VW parts place to get the axle apart, but I can't find a slightly larger one to remove the flywheel. It's entirely possible that this car was serviced by someone who replaced the original bolts with these...

The flywheel has 6 bolts (as Ant said, 9mm 12 sided) holding it onto the end of the crankshaft of the engine. They are set in a slightly weird pattern to ensure that you can only re-fit the flywheel correctly one way so that the TDC mark will always be in the correct place! :)

The CV joints couple onto the drive flanges on the differential of the gearbox using 8x internal spline drive bolts per drive shaft (very similar looking to 6mm hex heads when they're dirty!), from the description above, you're talking about taking the CV joints off the gearbox... :? What's confusing everyone (including me :roll: ) it that to remove the gearbox you'd have had to remove these near the start of the job... :?

If you really are having problems with the 6 bolts that hold the flywheel onto the crankshaft, is there any chance that you can get a photo and post it up here so that we can see exactly what it is that you are on about? It sounds very much like someone's replaced the 6 original 12 sided bolts with something different... :shock: :?

Right, I have popped the flange out to get the transmission free. (That was enough of a pain since everywhere I had seen them referenced, even here, described them like the guy at the shop did: with a plastic cap in the inside center of the flange; but it was solid and came off like a Honda's flange, just pry them out so the circlip in the back comes free...)

Anyway, I was using the description of the heads on those bolts as a reference point for describing the bolts which are holding on the flywheel. Sorry if that confused anyone... I've found some 12point bits online which I'll see if I can't get before the weekend so I can get this thing finished hopefully.

I'll try and take pictures tonight and post them.

Thanks for the help thus far ;)

Henny what I was getting at was thast he said the bolts on the flywheel were the same as the driveshaft flange I was just using the inner cv flanges as an example just to clear that up!!

Right those bolts devnull are M10 spline drives ( or cheese heads) it is a VR6 you have then I thought we were talking about a 16v or g60 thats where the confusion is you hould be able to get an M10 pline drive bit no problem have you got draper over in the states as I know for a fact they do them as I have just bought a 35 piece set that includes splines M6-M10 and hex's and torx drives a very handy piece of kit as you dont know what your going to come across so handy to have!! Part number for the bolts by the way if and when you need to replace them is # 905 398 01

Ah, it all becomes clear now! :oops:

I also thought you were on about a G60 devnull sorry for any confusion caused... 8)

Hope your tool fits when it arrives... It's always a pain when you come to do a job and realise that you haven't got a tool that will work (and you can't get away with just a big bar and a hammer! :lol: )

Henny you can overcome anything with a big hammer, bar and of course the ever handy mole grips :D

Hey! you don't need to tell me that! :wink: :lol:

Snap :D :D :D

Fun innit?!? :lol:

Damn, I miss my 'rado... :( not much longer to wait though :D

Have you started building up your engine yet henny have you got all the parts yet?? still fancy your chances down the strip now I have nos :D

Have you started building up your engine yet henny have you got all the parts yet?? still fancy your chances down the strip now I have nos :D

NOS?!? :? Sheesh, mine's a 20K mile per year daily driver! (or at least it will be when I put her back together :lol: ) :roll:

If you don't use your NOS then I'd like to see what we could do down the strip though... 8) :D

I've not got all of the parts together yet... I'm still waiting on my money to clear for all of the bits other than the block work so I can work out exactly how much I've got to play with... :wink: I'm in no rush, but I really do miss driving her... :(

Ok I'll give ya a break then I wont use the nos the first time :D I really miss driving the C as well although it is nice to only have to put a tenner in petrol into the astra a week with the C coz I love driving it I was putting £30-40 in a week makes a hell of a difference running a cheap car can afford to treat the C to a few more treats along the way :D Got a money pot that I have been putting in spare cash to and have already got over £200 in it plus the £2k in the bank so I'm laughing at the moment the respray and the pistons are going to most of the cash in the bank though.

I'm not in any real hurry I would like to be able to get on with a few more things though but I can occupy myself polishing, tidying and painting things while I'm waiting for the pistons :D

I haven't decided yet weather the C is going to be returned to the duty of daily driver might have it just as the weekend car but that probably wont work as I will want to drive it all the time :D It's almost addictive :D