Sign in to follow this  
yogiontour

Mileage and the corrado VR6 Engine

Hello guys, I’m new here!

I have finally decided to purchase a corrado vr6. I want to be part of the corrado cult!

What I am worried about is the average mileage of a corrado is around 100,000 miles....and to get much less than that i'm going to need to spend more than the £4000 I have budgeted for one....

Will this mileage be much of a problem, I have heard that the VR6 engine is very good....but I want your opinion....

Cheers guys

No problem at all, as you say many are at that mileage or well above now.

Just budget around £1k for having the clutch and timing chains changed somewhere towards 140-150k miles. Even then, that will be a precaution, never heard of one actually going bang through chain failure...

Good luck searching, there are sooo many lovely cars going so cheap at the moment it makes you want to start a collection!

i bought mine for £4k with 130,000, done 20,000 in it and not had any real engine issues, only a leaking theromostat which wasn't that expensive to fix

i've still not had timing chains etc done

If buying a VR with over 80K on it, the upper timing pad should be inspected immediately after purchase, which isn't too bad a job.

Too many people are ill informed into thinking that no noise from the timing chains means they're fine, which is not true.

It was a badly designed part and VW no longer fit it when replacing chains, but rather the revised part from the later cars.

As for what to check and how to check it and general VR6 engine life, it's been covered 100s of times already, so get practising on that search engine ;-)