Sign in to follow this  
Riley

Clattering drivetrain,G60...UPDATE

When on and off the throttle i have what i can only describe as a clatter, just one noise as though some slack is being taken up.

Its also there if i change gear less than smoothly...So it does seem happen when i initiate drive into the drivetrain.

What does anyone think?

Diff? driveshaft flanges or sommet?

And most importantly, how can i pinpoint the problem?

Neil.

Might be the weight on on of the driveshafts coming loose. Check those first.

Also does it only happen as you put the engine under load? Or does it happen on or off the throttle. Just wondering if it does only happen under load it might be linked to your bad running and be the engine pinking. That tends to sound like a metal clattering noise.

Will check the driveshaft weights,cheers m8.

Am i right in saying there is only the one on the drivers side? no passenger side?

It definately does it on/off throttle, does it under the same conditions that a tired engine mount would show up...But its definately in the moving running gear somewhere...

Feckin abs light has just come on half hour ago as well.

Neil.

Jacked the passenger side up earlier,spinning the wheel a little left/a little right quickly and you can hear the noise.

While a m8 did this,i grabbed the driveshaft and can feel the noise. :?

Then grabbing the flange on the gearbox you can turn it and there is play,should there be some? It also moves in/out a little and makes a noise but i think in/out movement is fine? (A little?)

Thing is...We spun the wheel on another corrado g60,and it makes the same noise,with the same amount of play (turning flange/in and out too)

But the noise is very loud on mine while driving on/off throttle.

Dunno what to check next really?

How much play (turning) should there be in the flange on the box?

update

Ok...If i sit with the engine ticking over and hold the clutch in for a few seconds, and then release it. I get what i think is the noise.

Any idea's? Surely its gotta be something thats spinning as its like its taking up drive/play?

Please help, car is supposed to be sold in a few weeks...

Neil.

Cheers m8 and aye,tell me about it :( The bloody abs light started coming on the same time as i first heard this too!

Back on the road for now...Got some cheapy insurance sorted, but its going to one of three! prospective buyers within the next month...or should be.

I really can't be ar$ed taking the box out :( !

Neil.

Shame mate but so long as you keep lurking in here and get yourself sorted in the future with another, start from a fresh and all. :)

Aye...ill always be about on the forums :D Have to keep the Volksdevil guys n girls in check if anything :lol:

I don't think ill ever go for a corrado again though :( Just totally fallen out with em...especially after struggling to line up a genuine vw rear engine mount today...Bloody holes didn't line up :(

As for the problem...Still unsure what it is, gonna have a look through a mates bentley manual so i can figure out what spins and what dosn't :lol:

Neil.

Whilst your looking then have a look for me would ya.

When turning right on full lock at slow speeds (crawling or turn in road sort of thing) i get a kind of clatter noise as well, only way to describe it for me is when you were a kid and you put the ice pop stick in your spokes on yer bike :) but not as high pitched :?

In the past 18 months its had new wishbones, track rods and bushes (poly), not to cure this noise just replaced general wear and tear.

I know the type of noise (is that a good thing? :lol: )

Id say thats probably sticky springs/top mounts/suspension related m8...Ive had it in the past.

Probably worth checking the subframe bolts/engine mounts if you have a look too.

Man...All these noises are getting on my t|ts :lol:

Neil.

clicking with the steering at full lock is usually worn out outer cv joints, if they are really bad it could also explain the slack/clatter when coming on and off the power.

I had the same symptoms on mine for a while (without clicking on full lock) and it turned out to be collapsed damper springs on the clutch, which finally broke free and jammed the clutch while on the motorway, the clutch had loads of friction material left probably only worn half way after 112,000miles but the springs had fallen to bits.