Sign in to follow this  
yeti

swapping 2.0 8v to 2.0 16v [golf]

Hi guys quick and to be honest a bit of a vague question, has anyone ever changed their 8v into a 16v, i have a 2.0 8v agg at the mo and i'm in the process of putting the 3rd replacement box in it (yes i know 2nd hand box's are a mugs game but the last one went due to an unfortunaely placed pot hole!) its been played with a bit and as such is a very pokey little 8v (3 years ago it achieved just under 140bhp on the rollers)

As the title suggests i've been thinking it might be a better idea to put a 2.0 abf in it as it has more horses out of the box and i'd have thought with my induction kit, decat and aftermarket exhaust it'd make a few more still. I know you should'nt build a car you can buy but its an anniversary model and i'm kind of attached to it after owning it for 3 years

i'd really love to put a new pd tdi engine in it but i'm under the (possibly deluded) impression a 16v swaps fairly easy

cheers

andy

You would want, I assume, the engine, gearbox, probably radiator, loom, cooling fans, different cooling pipework, fuel pumps, intake pipework, ecu, exhaust downpipes, and several little fiddly items that you won't realise till it's half in at 7.30 on a saturday night.

Think the engines are costing around #£300 ffrom what I've heard recently.

You would want, I assume, the engine, gearbox, probably radiator, loom, cooling fans, different cooling pipework, fuel pumps, intake pipework, ecu, exhaust downpipes, and several little fiddly items that you won't realise till it's half in at 7.30 on a saturday night.

Think the engines are costing around #£300 ffrom what I've heard recently.

yeah cheers tom, thats what i was thinking basically all the engine bay components and electrics, i'd hope the fusebox would be the same i'm just wondering about engine mounts and subframes, cos its looking like it might be best to buy a very rear ended one and canibilise the front!

It will all bolt in, the subframe etc is the same as is the fuse box but it is not a sensible conversion, if you want a 16v-buy one ready made. If you want to do a conversion on this car, fit a 1.8T.

I can't find the kit on the site at the minute, but Bahn Brenner used to offer an 8V turbo kit for around £800, claimed to add 50% power to the standard package, so that could be an option. Would probably cost slightly more than the 16V swap, but at least you'd be able to keep the 8V engine, a have a fairly unique car at the same time.

I can't find the kit on the site at the minute, but Bahn Brenner used to offer an 8V turbo kit for around £800, claimed to add 50% power to the standard package, so that could be an option. Would probably cost slightly more than the 16V swap, but at least you'd be able to keep the 8V engine, a have a fairly unique car at the same time.

£800 thats sod all for a turbo set up! all i can find on there is a suprcharger set up for about £1450 without postage and import tax... i'd love to know if that 8v turo kit is still available!