Sign in to follow this  
J a m e s

Cleaning out Intercooler

when browsing through some Corrado sites, i read that a G60 owner cleaned his intercooler out with petrol....is this a wise idea??

If so is it easy to take the intercooler of etc?

Cleaning the intercooler is a good idea... Cleaning it with petrol I'm not too sure about?!? :?

Taking the I/C off is quite easy, but it does mean that you've got to move the bumper forwards on it's hangers (undo the 4 bolts that hold it on and the hundreds that hold the lower spoiler on) so that you can get at the hidden top bolt for the I/C...

If you're any good with a set of spanners and sockets, it shouldn't take you too long to remove/replace it... 8)

I cleaned mine out with dry washing powder first (absorbs oil/crud like nothing else!) then washed it through with a hose for about 20 mins. I then blew it through with a heat gun and then left it in direct hot sunlight for a couple of hours and then on my central heating boiler over night just to ensure that it was completely dry... It seemed to make a fair amount of difference, although I had just had the head gas-flowed at the same time so it's difficult to say! :lol:

soaking overnight in petrol is what most people do. some people even say its worth it to spend the cash and use higher-octane petrol.. :? ?? YMMV

I cleaned mine out with hyperclean ( comma) and washing powder granules as everyone else says it soaks up and breaks down the oil brilliantly, and then added boiling water left it to soak for an hour and washed it through with hose for 15mins and then left it to dry for a few hours in sunlight!!