Sign in to follow this  
was8v

Buying a c - need to know some measurements please!

When I sold my previous car, the guy who bought it was very meticulous, and went over the car closely. One thing he did was measure the wheels centre to centre on each side to see if they where within 4mm of manufacturers spec.

Can someone with a straight C VR6 measure this distance (centre of one wheel to the centre of the other) on both sides of the car for me? I want to be sure that whatever has happened, the car has been put back together right.

Cheers.

the problem is even a car that hasnt been in an accident could still have more than 4mm difference between wheel centres, even removing and refitting the rear beam and front wishbones or a bad alignment set up could change it by that much, many garages dont even use 4 wheel alignment, you would be better off getting measurements between certain points on the chassis from a known good car.

Bentley manual should have plenty of measuring points you must use to decide if the chassis is straight or not. Personally I wouldn't use any random CF member's car as an example - go to the book.

Aha - good idea.

I'm viewing tomorrow - is there an online version of the bentley manual (I sold my cd copy with my last car), happy for replies in PM.

Or could someone take a screenshot of the measurements page? That would be a great help.

Cheers, Will.

Knew I had the dimensions somewhere!

The wheelbase on my drawing is 2470mm (centre of wheel to centre of wheel) & the front track is 1435mm & the rear is 1428mm

I'm not sure whether these measurements are for 16v/G60 or VR6 but you can use them as a guide

Drop me a PM & I'll email the drawing over if you want (having trouble posting it up for some reason)

Mike