Sign in to follow this  
stewybenson

VR6 Koni Coilovers issue

G'day people!

I am having a small issue with my recently fitted coilovers.

I bought these second hand from someone on this forum who had them on the same model but they appear to not fit mine 100%.

They are on the car, but there seems to be something not right with the front top mount assembly. The shocker top bearings that i have got have splices on them but they dont seem to be matching up with the splices on top of the strut which causes a kind of clunky/grindy/ping when loaded up in a corner or parking with some lock on.

It could be two things: either i have the wrong shocker top bearings or there is something missing from the assembly. Other than that they seem to be ok.

Anyone have any clues? Has anyone else had this issue? Also, where can you get parts for the Koni's (the website is in dutch!)

Stu

Arlight, i went ahead and bought some new fangled top mounts with bearings (costing 53 quid all in :shock: ) and they still dont seem to be the right ones.

where can i get the right ones?

any help gratefully recieved, this is driving me up the wall!!!

:?

i have searched this and There seems to be a common theme but i cant quite pin down my paricular problem.

Cheers again

stu

hey thanks for the reply...

i would take some pics, dont have a chance to jack her up tho to get the top mounts off for a few days.

splices? is that like a washer? my mechanic mentioned possibly fabricating a washer but wanted to find the right part for the job.

im sure the bearing is sitting straight on top of the strut at the mo. :?

soz i cant be more helpful

stu

I was wondering what you meant by "splices"...

On the top of the Koni's, there should be the spring, a broad cone-shaped alloy top plate, the top bearing, a big nut, and the rubber top mount (all under the mounting point on the inner wing), plus a concave steel plate and another big nut in the engine bay.

I was wondering what you meant by "splices"...

On the top of the Koni's, there should be the spring, a broad cone-shaped alloy top plate, the top bearing, a big nut, and the rubber top mount (all under the mounting point on the inner wing), plus a concave steel plate and another big nut in the engine bay.

duh, how stupid i see what you mean now. :oops: by splices i mean teeth. its like they are supposed to match up.

but now you mentioned the broad cone im not sure i remeber that part. could this be causing my problem? hmmm

i will take that list to my mechanic and see if everything is as it should be. thanks for your help

stu

I've just gotten my front Koni coils installed tonight, and I have a bit of an issue that this post seems to have hit on, it seems like there's a gap between the upper strut cap / mount (the "concave plate"), I'm guessing that maybe the rubber bushings are buggered and I should replace them with new ones?

It's a '93 with 90K on the clock, so I'm thinking it may just be time for new bushings -- but I'd like to know for sure.

Awesome, thanks for the info, it just didn't look quite right so I wanted to make sure it was normal. And, since I've not installed coils before, I wanted to make sure I didn't have something bass-ackwards ;)

Since it's already seated and back on the floor I'll order myself some new bushings and bearings and replace them when they come.