Sign in to follow this  
.A.N.T.

Rough price for a blowover...

My car is starting to look a bit tired in general, someone's keyed the drivers side, and now thanks to a dodgy handbrake leting it roll backwards into a hedge/fence I've got a nice big scratch down the passengers side as well.

Couple this with the first spot of rust I've found on it (A-pillar right near the wing) I think it's time to get it blown over...

I'd ideally like to change the colour, not by much. It's black at the moment, but I'd like it done diamond black.

Does anyone know a rough sort of price for this kind of job? I might get the roof channels filled in (like on G60 BV's) as well depending on how much is in the bank.

Also, could anyone reccomend a good sprayers in the South East, Surrey/West Sussex...?

Looking to get it done in about a months time as mum's away for a bit then and I can use her car...

Cheers,

Ant.

As no-one else has posted any actual experiences yet:

to get this done well isn't going to be cheap, time and labour for preparation plus the cost of paint means you'll be looking at close to a grand I reckon. As a guide, a chap I know that my dad sends a lot of their garage's work out to charges about 150 quid per panel and the job is done properly, I've seen lots of his work. We had a RAV4 that had a dent in every panel and he sorted that out and re-laquered the whole thing for about 700 quid as we had put a lot of work his way.

The main thing is to try to get to see previous work in the flesh, 500 quid spent on a rushed job with runs and blisters and the rust coming back in 6 months is not going to seem like a good investment.

well my full on back to the metal respray with lead filler, all rust removed, resealing of the car and a few bit smoothed off cost/ is costing £5500. But that really is a to of the range job. Comes with the special guarantee that if there is anything im not happy about, then it will be done again, and again until im perfectly happy. Hence the reason im going to be as picky as F*ck!

is costing £5500.

:shocked!:

OMG!!! How will you ever drive it?? Could you leave it unguarded in Sainsbury's without pulling your hair out in worry??!!!

Not really looking to spend quite that much! (but I'll no doubt envy the finish on yours!!)

yeah well thats why its only going to be for weekends, until the paint gets chipped/dented or scratched, then im off for trackdays and try and blow her up :lol:

but seriously, prices will vary wherever you go, and so will the quality of work, the goon who owned my car before me, had a few panels resprayed and the sprayer didnt even key the surfaces properly by taking off the old original paint. Meaning that his new paint just flakes off ontop of it, looking really tatty. The expensive part of a respray is in the preparation, actally spraying the car takes no time/money at all in comparison.

yeah well thats why its only going to be for weekends, until the paint gets chipped/dented or scratched, then im off for trackdays and try and blow her up :lol:

but seriously, prices will vary wherever you go, and so will the quality of work, the goon who owned my car before me, had a few panels resprayed and the sprayer didnt even key the surfaces properly by taking off the old original paint. Meaning that his new paint just flakes off ontop of it, looking really tatty. The expensive part of a respray is in the preparation, actally spraying the car takes no time/money at all in comparison.

Snap :( Mine is the same, looks really rough!

The paintshop local to me is going to respray mine, usual cost should be around £2k for an in and out job, with no damage but I'm going to strip the car myself and prep as far as I can with it to keep costs down.

Paul

Will the group buy be a case of first come first served?

Bloody hell Dan, didn't know it was costing that much..... Bet it will be stunning though, lead filler is the way forward it seems.

On the other sde of the coin, I'm going to have a crack at the vr myself, on the worst panels. If I cock it up, I can always try again, or just stum up the cash for a professional.