Sign in to follow this  
waynos

question about rotary turbo charged engines

saw an rx7 turbo today and it got me thinking. on conventional engines compression has to be lowered to allow forced induction. i was just wondering how this is achieved on a rotary engine? are they strong enough to take turbos without lowering the compression?

The compression ratio still has to be lowered as it's the increase in air pressure due to the turbo that causes an increase in charge temperature and that causes pre-ingition of the mixture. The overall strength does play a small part though.

You cant lower the compression ration on a rotary as unlike a piston engine you cant fit bigger gaskets

the RX7 engines where (twin) turbo from the factory so I guess they just made them strong

enough to take it, if you have any specific questions I work with a guys who has an RX with a Big single

turbo (in lovely salmon pink :lol: )

drag_car_3.jpg

Read about this one in Redline this month. 1/4 miles in 9.2s and 0-125 in 6.2s :shock: Apparently the can fit bigger turbos because more exhaust gases are produced with rotarys.

Thats Dragons old track car, it doesnt run an air filter as its only used for 1/4 miles and gets rebuilt at least once a year :shock: