Sign in to follow this  
chewys_vr6

respray or not?

Just looking for peoples opinions on whether it is worth getting the C resprayed. It is starting to look a bit tired up close after some huge carpark dents, the sunroof scratches, stone chips and now some rust on the arches and under the spoiler. I'm probably going to be selling after christmas, so is it worth a respray or just getting dentmaster in?

The rest of the C is pretty sweet.It has done 126k with all new VW suspension in may and a full VWSH, it's also got full leather. So what do people think?

if you can do it for around £1k, and it doesn't look like it only cost that much, then you might make your money back... you should probably pay twice that for a decent job though and that would pretty much guarantee you'd come out down..

Depends how long you want to keep the car for I suppose. I'm currently in the process of restoring mine back to it's full glory. It used to be Tornado red. Now it's more like a dusky pink. I'll be getting a respray I think :)

Respray's arent always necessary really, everyone seems to think that their car needs a respray just because the paint is looking a bit tired. A full respray will cost £1-2k which is a lot of money, so why not just get the dents pulled, get the rust repaired either a big job on the whole panel or just smart repaired for example and then get the rest of the paint machine polished. Scratches will appear reduced from machine polishing.

Depends how long you want to keep the car for I suppose. I'm currently in the process of restoring mine back to it's full glory. It used to be Tornado red. Now it's more like a dusky pink. I'll be getting a respray I think :)

Pagey, you may be able to get the paint machine polished and it may bring it back good, cheaper than a respray... PM Herisites as he's done his "pink" Polo and it looks really good now...

:edit: damn I should have known he'd beat me here! :lol:

if the body's just dented and scratched then give dentmaster a go, even if it doesnt work you'd only be paying for those dents to be pulled when you got it sprayed by the bodyshop so it's gotta be worth a go!

A good respray isn't cheap unless you've got some really good mates in the trade! Following my 'off' a few weeks ago the 'rado is in having all the dents pulled out, the interior panels waxoiled and a full respray in the original aqua blue pearl all for £2100 and that's cheap for the all work being done. At the end of the day a really cheap (and hence not very well done) respray just isn't worth bothering with. The company my Dad used to work for had a Bentley resprayed 'cheap' and you could see the primer through the (very thin) layers of paint... not good!

I did have a go withsome Auto Glym restorer, and after my arms had fallen off I realized I had done the patch a size of a beermat :D

The bodywork on my nice pink rado has the occasional rusty spot, not too bad mind you but I just kinda figured, patch them up, and get it blown over again. A mate of mine has access to a spray booth, and can paint too. I can only paint by numbers so I'd be no good :) I didn't figure on a machine polish. Thanks guys, I might give it a go. After all, she is worth it.

Cheers vwdeviant! that's great.

My rado looks bad at the moment. I can't believe I let it get so bad, still as soon as I'm back from a short break, she's gonna get sorted good and proper.

I may require Pot noodle assistance :)

Cheers

Pagey

i say just get it resprayed, at least then you know you have a decent base to work from, with no rust that can re-appear etc. afetr all machine polishing can only do so much, and will make whats left stand out even more....